Setting Up My 55 Gallon

?

Ram or Geo

1. Geo

50.0%
  2. Ram

50.0%
  1. Mr Few The Aquarium Dude Initiate Member

Howdy fish fans. Two weeks ago I upgraded my tank from a 35 gallon to a 55 gallon. My 7 tetras and one guppy are doing great! I have hardscaped and added these plants:
    Java fern
    Java moss
    Banana Plant
    Amazon sword
    Jungle Val
    Anubias
    Hyacinth
    I think water Lilly not 100%(far right side of pic)

I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, and when I get back next Saturday if my tetras are doing good, and the water tests ok for ph, ammonia, nitrates..... Then I am hoping to get my tank stocked that week. Here is what I'm thinking:
    4 angels
    3 dwarf gouramis
    7 tetras
    5 corys
    The last one is tuff.... either 2 Geos, or 5 Rams...... Leaning toward rams, but I know the male female dynamic can get tuff.

That's the plan that I have drawn up, but would love some feedback!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of Tetras and Corys? What type of Ram are you considering?

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

3 Dwarf gouramis is not a good idea, males will fight badly and females are hard to find

4. sweendog87 Member Member

Either German blue rams or geo redhead tapajos that's what I'm tossing up between for my next build I wonder if you could do both?

And love the scape where do you get that branch it looks amazing

5. Mr Few The Aquarium Dude Initiate Member

Thanks I got it at a local fish store. Cost me $50 not sure if I super overpaid but I got the tank and filter for free, and it's the centerpiece of the tank. It actually is flaking a mucus like layer. Making me nervous.
    As far as the fish I had two gouramis at one point and they didn't seem to pick on eachother too much, but got them at petsmart and they only lasted a month or two. I know at maturity fish behavior can change. You thinking I should only get one?
    I am thinking electric blue ram, or the red nose geo, there are a couple good fish stores around Columbus, but they may only have one type of ram or geo. As far as corys I have seen albino, or go cheap with emerald Cory from pet smart.
    As far as tetras not real sure. They are the same size as rummy nose, and have a silver body and black tails. Would love to know the species!
    I hope I answered concerns, to add to conversation my lights are on a setting where at night and morning they transition into all blue light. Would love some fish that can really pop at those times. Hence albino Cory.
    I really want geo and ram, but that puts most my fish at the bottom:(

6. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

The tetras appear to be Red/Lamp Eye Tetras. I believe they'll eat live plants. I would up the tetra school to 10, the number of Corys to 12-15, and get a single Ram or Geo. with the Rams, I would recommend asking if they are imported. Imported Rams are much more sensitive. They need pristine water, are more succeptible to disease and illness, etc. With Gouramis, you tend to have the more peaceful species (ex. Honey Gouramis) and some of the most aggressive species (ex. DGs). If you choose multiple DGs, males will fight, possibly ending in death, and females are hard to find. You would need to do 1male/1-2+ females, or all females if you want to keep more than 1.

7. Mr Few The Aquarium Dude Initiate Member

Thanks Katie! Couple follow up questions:

If I went with your suggestions would that not include angels? I really love those guys.

I was thinking about getting a school of rummy nose. I love how tight they school.

That's a lot of corys! I like to see how busy they are, but 12 seems like they would dominate the look of it. But isk they are so small maybe not.

As far as rams thanks I will make sure not to get imported ones! I was thinking a male female pair of either, why do you suggestion only one.

Gouramis are seeming like one or none, I guess it depends on all the others.

8. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

With the Angels, I would only get one, maybe two. If your getting a bottom dweller like Corys, I would consider staying away from a breeding pair of Rams. They get extremely territorial when it comes breeding time and inhabit the mid to bottom area of the tank making the Corys an easy target of aggression. Just so you know, I have a GBR from Petsmart and the store informed me that their Rams, or at least the German ones, are imported. As for Gouramis, If you want multiple, I would suggest a group of Honey Gouramis. Honey Gouramis are some of the least aggressive of the Gouramis.

9. Mr Few The Aquarium Dude Initiate Member

Figured I would give all of you an update on the tank thanks for all the help!