Setting Up My 135 Gallon Tank.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Geophagus in those last few pictures is a Red Hump, Geophagus steindachneri, smaller than most of the true Geos. Also gets more aggressive, though your fish appears to be female so that wouldn't be as much of a problem. A big male might get 5-6 inches, but that is very uncommon; they generally top out around 4 inches. Very tolerant of hard water, found in Colombia and Panama. Not as social as the true Geos, males tend to like harems. They mouthbrood much like Lake Malawi Cichlids.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The Geophagus in those last few pictures is a Red Hump, Geophagus steindachneri, smaller than most of the true Geos. Also gets more aggressive, though your fish appears to be female so that wouldn't be as much of a problem. A big male might get 5-6 inches, but that is very uncommon; they generally top out around 4 inches. Very tolerant of hard water, found in Colombia and Panama. Not as social as the true Geos, males tend to like harems. They mouthbrood much like Lake Malawi Cichlids.
It's about 2 1/2-3 inches right now. Should I still get a group of 5? She really likes to hang out around my Acara, lol. She follows him everywhere he goes.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could do a single male with a few females? Or just keep females, as there may be an issue with the angels and the male if the male starts breeding. What do you think Chrome?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Females do not have any color, the males are the ones you want to look at. I'd get a male and 1-2 more females.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Females do not have any color, the males are the ones you want to look at. I'd get a male and 1-2 more females.
Ok, Imperial tropics has males or unsexed, but they're out of unsexed, so I'm going to order a male off of there, and then try and find 2 more females.

I found some more unsexed juveniles for sale, should I do 5 or 4? I just ordered a male off of Imperial. So I have a male coming, and a female in the tank.

I think I'm going to get 3 just to make my odds of getting some females better.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you know if most places will let you add a freezer pack into your shipping? I ordered the 2 unsexed ones from that fish place.com, and their shipping rules are they won’t ship unless your area is less than 87 degrees. But it won’t be that here for another 4-5 months. I’m gonna ask and see.

They said they could, but because it's going to get up to 105 for 3 consecutive days, they're going to refund my order, because they don't want the fish dying in transit. Also, the geo loves my acara lol. She's always right by his side.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My male came today! He was a bit hot and shook, but his better now that he’s with the female. He’s the one on the right.

Ummmmmm? They’re spawning... just met and already having kids together. They both have their breeding tubes out, and I can see the female laying eggs and picking them up in her mouth. I didn’t know they could spawn when they’re this small. They’re both only about 2.5-3 inches long...

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My acara keeps putting his tail higher than his body. I don’t think it’s swim bladder disease, but I’m just wanting to make sure. When I go next to the tank, he goes back to normal, but when I walk away he goes back to doing that.

Now he’s swimming with his tail up. But he still goes back to normal when I’m by the tank. He won’t eat peas, and he’s just sitting underneath one of the plants at the moment.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think I caught it just in time. As soon as I noticed him floating I did a big water change. Right now I'm fasting the tank, trying to get him swimming right. I'm thinking it was constipation that caused it.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's doing a lot better, and following my finger again, so I think he's all good. And just one random question, I have a Sunsun304-b canister filter running, and it has a built in uv light. I let the filter run for a month (or close to a month) without the light on so the filter could build up bacteria. Will the light kill the BB?

Ok, I know I keep bringing up random topics, but, just want to make sure the final stocking is good again. I was going to do 6 angelfish, but I'm thinking 4-5 would be better for everyone. So the final stocking will be 4-5 Angelfish, 5 Red hump Geos, 10 Congo tetras, 10 Sterbai cories, 1 EBA, and a Gold nugget pleco.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wait, could I drop the Pleco in place of a Snakeskin gourami? I really like the look of them, especially Dave125g's gourami. I understand they get relatively large, but I've also read that they're really peaceful. And it would alleviate a little bit of tension from the bottom section of the tank. I think.

I *think* I would be able to do the swap. Both get about the same size and from what I've read the pleco has a bigger bio load than the gourami. And later today I'm going to order the rest of the goes. @chromedome52

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
K just ordered the rest of the Geos

Oh! Oh! @TexasDomer could I do 5 Angelfish, 5 red hump geophagus, 10 Congo tetras, 10 sterbai cories, 1 Electric blue acara, and 1 threadfin acara???

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey @Demeter so sorry to bother you, but I know you're good with stocking tanks, do you think my stocking would work? It's in the above post, but it's 5 Angelfish, 5 Red hump geophagus, 10 Congo tetras, 10 Sterbai cories, 1 Electric blue acara, and Maybe a Gold nugget pleco, or a threadfin acara?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not the greatest with American cichlids but the tank sure is large enough to house them all IMO. Just keep in mind that the cichlids may end up paring off, if which case fish that are not in a pair may get beaten up a bit so you may have to remove fish as they mature.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not the greatest with American cichlids but the tank sure is large enough to house them all IMO. Just keep in mind that the cichlids may end up paring off, if which case fish that are not in a pair may get beaten up a bit so you may have to remove fish as they mature.
Thank you so much for your input! The only things that would pair up are the angels. The red hump geos do a harem situation and the females mouth brood the eggs. And I have a tank for wounded angels to heal and recouperate if necessary.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Goes to show how much I know about geos
Well the mouth brooding thing is only used by the red hump geos, all the others get really territorial, so you were right to warn about aggression lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom