Setting Up Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by LizB29, Apr 23, 2018.

1. LizB29

LizB29New MemberMember

I just got a 40 gallon tank that I’m going to use for a betta. I know I want to do sand substrate and plants but I was hoping for some suggestions on tank mates for my betta . I know most fish are out of the question but I’d like him to have some company in there.

2. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

are you going to do a betta sorority, or just have one in there? that will help determine stocking .

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

they seem to ignore my glowlight tetras and emerald cories. But basically you want to have dull colored slow swimming fish.

4. OP
    OP
    LizB29

LizB29New MemberMember

I’ll be doing a single betta

5. OP
    OP
    LizB29

LizB29New MemberMember

Ok that’s what I’ve read so far. Thanks

6. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

In a 40 you have a little more leway and options than in a smaller tank but you still have to steer clear of larger more aggressive fish and nippy ones.

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I'd reccomend a large school - like 20 - of one of the boraras species. The great thing is that ib the wild the range of the betta and some bororas species tend ti overlap.

For me personally, I think the whole 'betta will kill other fish' is highly overrated. Having kept multiple males, they rarely get more aggressive than a chase - a few of my males were territorial and wouldn't allow other fish in his territory (around 8 inch in diameter - but would patrol the rest of the tank without trouble.

Good fish to mix would also be kuhlies - biotopically correct... - and cories as well. Fish that stay in the lower levels are usually fine - tetras, cories, loaches, rasboras - and they usually ignore them as well. Best bet is to stay away from surface dwelling fish - guppies, hatchets and gouramies - and some bettas are prone to having problems with fish with large finnage - like guppies - or brightly coloured - some tetras, or guppies.... but from my experiences, it is not the case.

I think my 'success' could also be due to introducing the betta after all my other fish, so the tankmates were already established and not comming into 'his territory' - aka the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    LizB29

LizB29New MemberMember

Thank you for all the great information. I’m a big fan of Cory so I think I’ll be going with them or the kuhli loaches.