Setting Up An Invert-only Tank...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Fisker, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hello! I've got a 10 gallon community aquarium that contains a Pom-Pom crab and a bamboo shrimp, along with some snails and shrimp. I'd like to tear down the 10 gallon, sell off the fish (and some plants), and move the inverts into a 5.5 gallon. I'm starting classes here in a couple of months, and have realized that three relatively complex tanks is too much for me to take care of (2 saltwater, 1 fresh), and I need to downsize this tank and get rid of one of my salt tanks.

Here are a few questions:

1) Is a 5.5 big enough for the bamboo shrimp in the invert-only setting? I actually really like the little guy, and would like to keep him. If the 5.5 is too small, I will rehome him.

2) What can I do to discourage my pom-pom crab from constantly hiding under hardscape? He's probably one of my favorite inverts I've ever owned, and I only see him once every 5-6 weeks, and even then, it's 2-3 seconds of seeing an arm in the shadows. Very reclusive. Could I just not have any hard scape, and try to provide dim lighting/plant cover to make him feel at home, so I could observe him?

3) What would I feed this tank? I assume I could feed flake and pellets, but should I supplement that with anything meaty? How about dried seaweed? How often would I need to feed?

4) Would this tank even be low maintenance? More than likely, I'm going to have relatively little time to take care of my tanks - I'm looking to devote less than 10 minutes a day to each tank, with 30 minutes to an hour on water change day. I'd make it low light, try my best to just have low light plants (basically, throw a mixture of what I have in now and see what makes it), and no ferts.

Anyone got any tips?

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,228
    1. Unfortunately, a 5.5 gallon is too small for bamboo shrimps.

2. You can try dimming the lights and/or adding plants in order for the pom pom crabs to come out.

3. What are you trying to feed?

4. Shrimps and pom pom crabs have little bioload so I would considered this to be a low maintenance tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm feeding everything in the tank... the pom-pom crab, the shrimp, and the snails. I know that a lot of what these guys will eat is just algae and whatever they can find around the tank. But with no feedings to this tank, I'll need to supplement.

Become a Fishlore Member