Setting up an Aquaclear 200 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Downward Dog, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Downward DogValued MemberMember

I just got a free 20 gal tank and Aquaclear 200 filter. I'm trying to figure out what goes IN the filter now. According to the Aquaclear website, the foam goes in the bottom, then carbon lays on top, and then an optional Ammonia clearing thingy on top of that. I was looking around on Amazon and saw that they also sold something called BioMax for this filter.

Besides the foam, exactly what do I need? I'm thinking about the charcoal just because I use it now with my AquaTech filter in my 10 gal tank (I'll be switching everything over to the used 20 gal tank) with good results. I've heard people use floss but change it every 5 days and I can't see me doing that (I am a busy mom!)...

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
    ~Lenore

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

All I have in my ACs is foam and 2 bags of biomax.

3. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes if your water has an odor or if you have driftwood and want to clear up the water the charcoal is a must. But it must be changed every two weeks or so. I don't have those issues in my tanks so I replaced the charcoal with half of a piece of foam. So I have 1.5 foam blocks and then the ceramic rings on top.

4. fishingman001Well Known MemberMember

i have the foam then 2 biomax bags and then carbon on top of that.

you only need to change the carbon every 3 weeks to a month. everything else should be lightly rinsed in old tank water whenever it gets a lot of debris in it.

5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You;ll know it's time to rinse the foam and biomax when the lid pops off the filter. Because ACs push the water up from the bottom, when the media gets clogged the basket and the media are pushed up, and the basket handles pop the lid loose.

They are the best HOB filters, IMO, and that is the perfect filter for the tank.

6. Downward DogValued MemberMember

Jaysee, what exactly is BioMax? And what are these rings someone mentioned?

Thanks for all the replies, it's making more sense now:)

~Lenore

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

biomax is the product name of ceramic rings that are used for biomedia, above and beyond the mechanical. google it!

8. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

The ceramic bio rings (bio max) are a media that bacteria loves to colonize in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice