Setting Up An Albino Toad Habitat

FishFor2018
Hello,
So I have an Albino Tadpole that i'm %80 sure is a toad. I have never kept any reptile or amphibian before so I know close to nothing. Right now he/she is in a large shallow dish/dog bowl with one other tadpole, he/she is quite small so i'm guessing I have about a month before it turns into a Froglet. So far I have a tote that is 9 gallons with dimensions of 11" by 16" by 12", some tree bark, 5 or 6 little oak branches with leaves, ECO Earth Cocoa Nut Fiber, Organic Garden Soil, A small dish for feeding, and i'm going to get a medium piece of driftwood today. I'm going to be putting a shallow dish in there for drinking and bathing. I'm going to upgrade its tank when it get large to a 15G tote. I plan on feeding it a variety of crickets, meal worms, fly's, and waxworms.
I will be keeping this thread updated!

Please let me know if there is anything i'm doing wrong or something else I should do

Goldfishfreak
Could you post some pictures of them. Close up's would be great.

I can help you identify if it is a toad and what kind it is.

Here are a few more questions:
How old are they?
If you don't know, how long have you had them?
What time of year is is where you are?
And what colour are the white toads eyes?

FishFor2018
They are still both tadpoles, the white ones eyes are a pink-ish gold-ish, I have had them for a month now, its summer. getting pics now

FishFor2018
Here is what I have for them so far:
image.jpg
This is what I’m feeding them
image.jpghere is the tadpole:

image.jpg

FishFor2018
Here is the normal tadpole:
image.jpg

Goldfishfreak
Here is what I have for them so far:View attachment 465338
This is what I’m feeding them View attachment 465339here is the tadpole:
View attachment 465340

They do look like toads to me as they are black and not green. If you shine a light on the regular one does it shine gold or have a silver coating on it?

Everything you have for them is very good. I would get a gut of some kind for them though. They will need something to hide in. It could be a terracotta pot or a rock cage for a lizard or even half of a coconut shell. You can buy coconut Shells at pet stores usually.

The food is great, you could give them some blanched lettuce once a week. They love to munch it. They prefer Romain hearts to iceberg IME. I have kept quite a few tadpoles but I have always released them when they grew up. But good idea keeping the albino one because he probably would get eaten very easily. Just a heads up though as the albino one grows older he may turn more and more yellow or gray.

They should start growing legs very soon. They will grow the back ones first then the front.

Once they have all their legs there tails will start to disappear. At this point I would put some kind of rock or something that they can go out of the water on but don't get rid of the water until their skin becomes more toad like.
I would recommend misting their habitat every once and a while to mimic rain, and always keep that water fish full for them.

If you have more questions I would be happy to answer them.

Best of luck!
-freak

FishFor2018
They do look like toads to me as they are black and not green. If you shine a light on the regular one does it shine gold or have a silver coating on it?

Everything you have for them is very good. I would get a gut of some kind for them though. They will need something to hide in. It could be a terracotta pot or a rock cage for a lizard or even half of a coconut shell. You can buy coconut Shells at pet stores usually.

The food is great, you could give them some blanched lettuce once a week. They love to munch it. They prefer Romain hearts to iceberg IME. I have kept quite a few tadpoles but I have always released them when they grew up. But good idea keeping the albino one because he probably would get eaten very easily. Just a heads up though as the albino one grows older he may turn more and more yellow or gray.

They should start growing legs very soon. They will grow the back ones first then the front.

Once they have all their legs there tails will start to disappear. At this point I would put some kind of rock or something that they can go out of the water on but don't get rid of the water until their skin becomes more toad like.
I would recommend misting their habitat every once and a while to mimic rain, and always keep that water fish full for them.

If you have more questions I would be happy to answer them.

Best of luck!
-freak
I was planning on using the bark to create a more natural hide but when I go to get the driftwood I will pickup another hide. it has more of a brown coat with some darker speckles when I shine a light on it. I did make a little land spot with some pebbles that they could climb on. I don't really care what color they turn just as long as they are healthy and happy but thank you for the warning! I will get a mister also, Thank You!

FishFor2018
I also just gave them some blanched Romania lettuce yesterday and they LOVED IT

Goldfishfreak
I was planning on using the bark to create a more natural hide but when I go to get the driftwood I will pickup another hide. it has more of a brown coat with some darker speckles when I shine a light on it. I did make a little land spot with some pebbles that they could climb on. I don't really care what color they turn just as long as they are healthy and happy but thank you for the warning! I will get a mister also, Thank You!

Your welcome!
Whatever works as long as they have somewhere to climb on when they grow legs and somewhere to hide after they grow up.

They do love there lettuce!

I'm sure they will be happy and healthy!

If you ever need to ask more questions then feel free to pm me or tag me in a thread!

FishFor2018
Hey Goldfishfreak Should I keep both of them together? like do they need to be kept together? the tote will be a long one i'm thinking 15 gallons. Just asking because I see a group (like 4 or 5) of toads in my yard.

Goldfishfreak
Hey Goldfishfreak Should I keep both of them together? like do they need to be kept together? the tote will be a long one i'm thinking 15 gallons. Just asking because I see a group (like 4 or 5) of toads in my yard.

Some species of toads like to be kept together and others it doesn't matter. If you see a group of them in your yard they are probably the same kind of toad. I would keep them together. The container is big enough just make sure that you get a big cave for them to hide in or 2 smaller ones.

FishFor2018
Some species of toads like to be kept together and others it doesn't matter. If you see a group of them in your yard they are probably the same kind of toad. I would keep them together. The container is big enough just make sure that you get a big cave for them to hide in or 2 smaller ones.
Okay! Thank you so much! Will it be okay to start them both in the 9.5 gallon since they will be Tiny and then when I see them get a little bigger move them to the 15?

Sorry for all the questions!

Goldfishfreak
Okay! Thank you so much! Will it be okay to start them both in the 9.5 gallon since they will be Tiny and then when I see them get a little bigger move them to the 15?

Sorry for all the questions!

Don't be sorry! It's important to be sure that everything is ok.

Yes they will be ok in that until they get bigger. They may even grow too big for the 15 gallon but it will take a while before that happens!

FishFor2018
Don't be sorry! It's important to be sure that everything is ok.

Yes they will be ok in that until they get bigger. They may even grow too big for the 15 gallon but it will take a while before that happens!
Okay thank you!!! When they are fully grown what will I need, a 20 long?

Goldfishfreak
Okay thank you!!! When they are fully grown what will I need, a 20 long?

Most likely yes. But that will be a year or two from now probably.

FishFor2018
Most likely yes. But that will be a year or two from now probably.
Okay thank you so much!!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
maggie thecat
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies