Setting Up a Tropical Aquarium week-by-week by Stuart Thraves

Anders247

This is the 2004 edition of the book, which is the oldest edition. There's a 2009 edition too, which I'll do a review on when I get it. For a fairly old book, it's a lot better than expected. I'd rate it 4 of 5. The only problem was the max size of certain fish and min tank sizes for certain fish.

The first part of the book is about what to do before you get a tank- where to place it in the home, what tank size for the tank you want, (including buy the biggest you can-great advice!), and final checks before buying. (Check for chips, cracks, etc. in a tank you buy). Love this section.

Day one: is all about setting up the equipment for the tank. Heater, filter, substrate, CO2 system, wood, rocks, and adding the water. They have a good section in here about the types of filter media, and which one is the best. They told you how to prepare wood that hasn't been cured yet, how to use a CO2 system, and which rocks are good to use in the aquarium.

Day two: Preparing to plant the aquarium. This is the longest section by far.... They start by saying you can sketch out where to put the plants in order to get a basic idea of where you want them to go. They give good advice on how to plant plants as well.They have a lot of plant profiles, which makes this section so long. Also included in this section is the info about water chemistry, nitrogen cycle, pH, hardness/softness, ammonia, and water testing.

Week three (yes they skip from day two to this): Bringing your aquarium to life. This section is mainly about adding fish to the tank, but there's a section on plant trimming. They have lots of fish profiles too, which are decent, but this is the only weak part of the book. For instance, they say that clown loaches only get 6 inches long.....they get up to 16. I like their first fish selection, but there's some errors in the second fish part.

Week 5: Second fish.They think that neons are suitable for the cycle, which they aren't. They also say that black neons are more sensitive than other neons. What?!? They have a section on quarantining in this, too..... They say that bala sharks are okay in a 48 inch long tank, which is a 55g. No. lol

Week 8: Towards a stable system. This is about tank maintenance. Cleaning the filter, cleaning algae, water changes, when to fertilize, and then the adding third fish section with more profiles. I like this section! After that comes feeding fish, where it says that live foods aren't acceptable because they can introduce diseases to the tank.

Week 12 + extra stuff: The finished display. This has a section on fish health, more maintenance, and more algae. It's done!

djr1

So at the end of the day Anders247, what applied then doesn't always hold true now. As long as we keep here the necessary foundations of a healthy environment for our fish keeping endeavours.
We all tested the limits on what we can do or not.. but at the end of the day a basic guideline of proven methods is a good start
But how many take that route?

Plecomaker

Couldnt 48 long also be a 90?

Anders247

Plecomaker

Fair enough.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom