Setting up a Saltwater tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by CherryBarb123, Apr 4, 2012.

1. C

CherryBarb123 Valued Member Member

I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite a long time, and later this year I would love to set up another tank. Rather than setting up a nother FW, I would love to set up a SW tank.

How much harder than FW are saltwater tanks? What would be the minimum tank size? What are some good fish to begin with? What about corals?

Could I set up a 90 Litre with a few small(ish) fish/inverts? I know it isn't cheap to set up. What could I stock a 90 Litre with?

Please could someone help me make my mind up. I am prepared to do the research to get it right :)

Thanks in advance :D

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Personally I'd go bigger if possible. The bigger you go the easier it is. I usually reccomend a 29 gallon tank as a MIN. for saltwater.

Most of the fish just simply get too large for anything smaller. I have had two different 29 gallon saltwater set ups. I had a 29 standard (now my goldie/QT) and I had fish only. I have the 29 gallon biocube which we originally started to try corals. Both of which (one still is) the biggest pain in the rear I've ever dealt with. I could keep corals alive for a little while in the biocube but they would just start fading away slowly. Then in a 29 you're looking at maybe like 3-5 SMALL fish. Like chromis, neon goby, clown goby, etc. Like tiny fish.

If you can go bigger I highly reccomend it, if not I'd just start out doing a fish only tank and maybe some snails and crabs but no coral. If you do the 29 you could probably get away with a pair of occelarius clownfish, a clown goby and maybe a school of 3 chromis. That'd be pushing it tho.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CherryBarb123 Valued Member Member

Thanks! So if I was to go with a 29, would I have live rock as the decor?

4. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Generally most salt tanks have live rock. I have it in all my tanks. In my 29 gallons generally I could get 3 bigger sized pieces with like 2-3 smaller pieces to make caves and such. Some pet stores sell marine algae its a lot like freshwater java moss. I have no idea how to spell it so I don't think I will even try but its said ca-ler-pa but I know that's not how it's spelled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice