Setting Up a Quarantine Tank

1. theRqua Member Member

Hi,

I've started thinking of setting up a quarantine tank ever since I bought a new plant for my aquarium (haven't set it up in my main aquarium yet, placed it in a small tank I have).
    My main tank is 9.2 gallons, so it has small fish in it. It has a pump filtration system with aeration outlet included, a lamp and a heater (set to 27C).
    How should I start?
    I was thinking of buying a cheap large plastic fish tank, a small filter fit for its size, but no heater nor lights. I have a bit of gravel substrate left, I can add a few plastic plants I have and that's about it.
    What will the maintenance different between the main tank and quarantine tank be?
    I'm new to starting quarantine tanks.

2. littleredridingmech Member Member

Are you quarantining fish or plants?

If it's fish, you probably do want a heater. Most of the fish in the aquarium trade are tropical and like it warmer than room temp and you can do an ich treatment more easily with a heater.

In the future, I'll always have an extra sponge filter running in my main tank so I can plop it in the QT at any time for an instant cycle. Right now, I only have an airstone for agitating the surface and do large daily water changes since I didn't have a cycled filter ready to go. I don't know how feasible the sponge filter thing is in a 9 gallon though, real estate's a bit limited.

3. Tk82 Member Member

Theres really no big difference in maintenance for your quarantine tank as with your display tank. I have a 10g quarantine tank with light/hood, heater and filtered. Try to keep your qt as bare bones as possible when it comes to decor. I keep mine without gravel. But i do have a few plastic plants and pvc fittings to make it comfortable and less stressful as possible for any new/sick fish i plan to quarantine. I do weekly water changes on qt when i do my display tank also to avoid ammonia build up etc. If you are planning on quarantining only plants, make sure you have adequate lighting and filtration minus decor etc.