Setting Up a Quarantine Tank

1. t

theRqua Member Member

Hi,

I've started thinking of setting up a quarantine tank ever since I bought a new plant for my aquarium (haven't set it up in my main aquarium yet, placed it in a small tank I have).
    My main tank is 9.2 gallons, so it has small fish in it. It has a pump filtration system with aeration outlet included, a lamp and a heater (set to 27C).
    How should I start?
    I was thinking of buying a cheap large plastic fish tank, a small filter fit for its size, but no heater nor lights. I have a bit of gravel substrate left, I can add a few plastic plants I have and that's about it.
    What will the maintenance different between the main tank and quarantine tank be?
    I'm new to starting quarantine tanks.

2. l

littleredridingmech Member Member

Are you quarantining fish or plants?

If it's fish, you probably do want a heater. Most of the fish in the aquarium trade are tropical and like it warmer than room temp and you can do an ich treatment more easily with a heater.

In the future, I'll always have an extra sponge filter running in my main tank so I can plop it in the QT at any time for an instant cycle. Right now, I only have an airstone for agitating the surface and do large daily water changes since I didn't have a cycled filter ready to go. I don't know how feasible the sponge filter thing is in a 9 gallon though, real estate's a bit limited.

3. Tk82

Tk82 Member Member

Theres really no big difference in maintenance for your quarantine tank as with your display tank. I have a 10g quarantine tank with light/hood, heater and filtered. Try to keep your qt as bare bones as possible when it comes to decor. I keep mine without gravel. But i do have a few plastic plants and pvc fittings to make it comfortable and less stressful as possible for any new/sick fish i plan to quarantine. I do weekly water changes on qt when i do my display tank also to avoid ammonia build up etc. If you are planning on quarantining only plants, make sure you have adequate lighting and filtration minus decor etc.