Setting up a QT tank...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by klogue2, Dec 28, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

I'd like to make my now spare 10 gallon aquarium a QT tank. I read the FishLore QT tank article but I still have some questions -

1) Do I want a lot or few hiding places, or none? Any other decorations?

2) Say I'm using the QT to hold some new fish before adding them to the main aquarium in two weeks or so; how many small fish is too many to QT at once? Small as in 2" max. I know I should keep it to a minimum since it would be easier to track down sick fish, plus even though it's temporary it's still small.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would say hiding places depends on the type of fish and you. If it is a very skittish fish that may hurt itself darting around providing cover would be nice. Imo, it also needs to be balanced with being able to observe the fish. If there's a bunch of hiding places the fish is probably just going to hide being in a new place and all. I prefer my qt tanks barebottom with maybe one plastic plumbing fitting for cover.

The answer to your second question will vary with the fish as well. For example, I would have no problem keeping 10-15 neon tetras in a 10g for 2 weeks, and have done so with Cardinal tetras with no problems, however I would not put the same number of zebra danios in the same tank, imo they're much more active and they'd probably go nuts and tear each other to shreds.

I'm sure you'll find alot of members do things different ways, hang on for more responses. :)

3. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Alright, thank you! Just wondering, how many long-fin zebra danios would you say would be good to QT? Maybe 3-5, or is that too many? The long-fins are going to be part of my 55 stock so thought I'd ask while I had this thread going...

4. Matt B

No problem, how big is the final school going to be? For example, if its 12 you could go 2 groups of 6.

5. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Well I'm actually trying to figure out what the numbers are but I posted on my other thread;

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-stocking-questions/134788-55-gallon-community-stock.html

on the last post what my final choices were, just wasn't sure if those numbers were any good. But if they are, then yes 12 long-fin gold/zebra danios :) I was thinking when the 55 is cycled, add some of the danios to the 55 then put the others in QT, that way the BB has time to grow and I can QT at the same time (even though if I get them from the same store it's probably not needed).

6. Matt B

If you are obtaining all the danios from the same source I would and they are first in I would just add the whole school to the display. No need to qt if they're the only ones. The only complication I can see would be if you needed to medicate you'd have to use more but imo, its not worth qt'ing the batches separate.

You can control their bio load at first by limiting feeding so the bb can catch up, I highly doubt you'll have any mini cycle issues, 55g is alot of water to dilute waste from 12 small fish.

7. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Ah ok, thank you for your help!

8. Matt B

Glad to help. :)

Btw, I don't see any issue with your list in the last post of your stocking thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice