Setting Up A New Tank Just For Snails

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've finally given up trying to introduce my ramshorns to the main tank. They just don't like it and spend the entire time flat on their sides, not moving. Pretty much as soon as I move them back they are up and running around again.

The problem is the quarantine tank I have them in was only meant to house them while the main tank was cycling so I didn't pretty it up. The plan always was to do away with it when they were moved back to the main tank.

I do have a small tank which might do well enough for them but I'm wondering how best to set it up. If I have to go through an entire cycle that may be impossible - I just don't have the space [or the plug sockets!] to run a third tank. Is it possible just to port over everything - filter, plants, water straight into the smaller tank, perhaps with something new in the way of substrate which they don't currently have in the gulag?

I'd be glad of any advice.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha, I totally feel you on the plug socket issue!

Yes, a smaller tank would work great and you can move the filter, plants, etc over without an issue. You really just need the filter media for an instant cycle. Barebottom is easier to clean, but if you want to show off your plants or snails then go ahead and add a substrate.

I am currently breeding ramshorn snails in a 2.5g. Its barebottom with a sponge filter, heater (though I probably don't need it now that its summer), and some slate pieces. The slate is annoying to clean around, but It gives them a surface to lay eggs on and collects some biofilm for them to eat.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'm going to have to look for something else for the Main Hall [I'm thinking zebra snails]. I'd like to pretty up the tank the ramshorns are going to be in as it just looks uninteresting and doesn't really show them off to their best

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is now getting ridiculous! Two lovely, healthy new nerite snails popped into the tank yesterday and immediately started charging around. Tonight, same as with the ramshorns, stock still, not moving at all and no apparent signs of activity.

I don't understand what's going on. The water parameters are sound with just about equal readings between the main tank and the QT. The only difference is that the QT is unheated although the temp is higher than in the heated main tank.

Why do snails seem to hate my main tank? What on earth am I doing wrong?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom