Setting up a new tank, how to transition?

1. jtscarlett Initiate Member

I want to rehome my cories and tetras from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon long tank, which I think they'd be much happier in. I currently have an aquaclear 30 on my ten gallon and want to use the same one on my 20 gallon. But when I buy my 20 gallon tank, I'll need a filter to start the cycling process, right? I don't want to buy a whole other filter just for cycling the 20 gallon, because then I'll be left with an extra filter at the end and it will be a waste of money. But I can't take the filter from my 10 gallon because my fish still need it until the 20 gallon is cycled!

Any suggestions?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can add your fish and the filter and media directly to the 20 gal. No need to cycle it separately. This is called an instant cycle. You're adding the same bioload (moving the fish from the 10 to the 20) and the same beneficial bacteria (in your filter media) to the new tank.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

When you get the new tank fill it, dechlorinate, get it up to temperature & then just transfer everything over.
    The beneficial bacteria in your filter can already handle the existing bioload so if you're not adding new fish then there shouldn't be any problems, when you do add new fish just do it slowly to allow the bb to adjust to the extra bioload.

Edit: Texas beat me to it ;)

4. jtscarlett Initiate Member

I was thinking about that but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks so much!