Setting up a new tank, fishless cycle. Should I change water?

Ainz80

Hi! Setting up a new tank, fishless cycle to move my Betta back out of my community tank. I successfully cycled the main tank fish in with prime and stability but don't know how to get this fishless tank through cycle. Just been putting flakes in and this is the ammonia and nitrite after a week. Do I change water with these nitrites? I haven't tested nitrates yet. Honestly didn't expect more than ammonia yet. Thank you!

jdhef

Welcome to FishLore!

It's hard to tell from the picture what your nitrite level is. but generally when fishless cycling you want to keep your nitrite levels under 5ppm. Nitrite levels above 5ppm can stall the cycle.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Did you move any filter media from your old tank over to the new tank?
Filter floss, sponges, ceramic rings, even a cup of gravel can all help kick start the cycle in the new tank.

A week into the cycle is not very long at all. Keep checking the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels daily. If you start to see the nitrite level start to come down and the nitrate level start to go up, you are doing well. If the nitrites do not start to come down, do a 50% water change to lower the nitrites and continue to monitor the progress. Only add a pinch of fish food to the tank on a daily basis, about the amount one betta would consume in a feeding. That should be enough to keep your tank headed in the right direction.

Once your ammonia and nitrite levels stay below 0.5 ppm for several days in a row, it is safe to move your betta. They are pretty hardy fish and are often used for fish-in cycles. If they were not hardy, they would never survive living in the cups at the pet stores. Thus, once you see signs the cycle is progressing nicely, the betta should be fine. However, at that point, you will need to start routine water changes. Until the fish is added, you do not need to do a water change unless your ammonia or nitrite reading are above 2-3 ppm.

Upvote 0

Ainz80

Welcome to FishLore!

It's hard to tell from the picture what your nitrite level is. but generally when fishless cycling you want to keep your nitrite levels under 5ppm. Nitrite levels above 5ppm can stall the cycle.
Thanks! I think I better do a water change then
Did you move any filter media from your old tank over to the new tank?
Filter floss, sponges, ceramic rings, even a cup of gravel can all help kick start the cycle in the new tank.

A week into the cycle is not very long at all. Keep checking the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels daily. If you start to see the nitrite level start to come down and the nitrate level start to go up, you are doing well. If the nitrites do not start to come down, do a 50% water change to lower the nitrites and continue to monitor the progress. Only add a pinch of fish food to the tank on a daily basis, about the amount one betta would consume in a feeding. That should be enough to keep your tank headed in the right direction.

Once your ammonia and nitrite levels stay below 0.5 ppm for several days in a row, it is safe to move your betta. They are pretty hardy fish and are often used for fish-in cycles. If they were not hardy, they would never survive living in the cups at the pet stores. Thus, once you see signs the cycle is progressing nicely, the betta should be fine. However, at that point, you will need to start routine water changes. Until the fish is added, you do not need to do a water change unless your ammonia or nitrite reading are above 2-3 ppm.
Thanks so much. I didn't move any media as the other tank has only finished cycling less than a month ago so I didn't want to disturb anything.
I did a fish in cycle with that one with media from the tank I am starting up again now. (I completely cleaned this one out as I didn't expect to want to use it again

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies