Setting up a New Filter on Established Tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jakoba, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Jakoba

Jakoba Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a few questions in regards to replacing filters.
    This past weekend I acquired a brand new Aqueon 55/75 when my LFS had a event where if you brought in any old, broken or worn out filters they would give you a similar sized Aqueon for free. I want to put this new filter on my 35 gallon but am not really sure what steps need to be taken to seed the new filter without causing a whole new cycle in the tank.

The tank is a 35g and is currently running an AquaClear 50. I don't have room to put both filters on the tank to run at the same time so that method isn't really an option, so my next question is If I took the media from the new filter and placed it inside the AquaClear to run for a few weeks would that work?

I have a Blue Ram in this tank so I want to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Can someone give me some pointers as to how to go about doing this?

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

It's quite simple actually. Take all of the media out of the old filter and put it in the new one. Then you haven't even really changed filters, you've just changed motors :)

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes transfer all of the media from the old filter to a new one. Not guaranteed that 100% of the bacteria will get transferred but the amount lost should be minuscule, not even noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Jakoba

Thanks guys, I will give that a try. The only concern I have with this is that I'm not sure that the media from the aquaclear will fit into this new filter, also the Aqueon takes filter catridges so it's not possible to leave a portion of the media when changing cartridges as is recommended with the AquaClear.

5. OP
    OP
    Jakoba

I've checked and there is no way the inserts from the AquaClear will fit in this new filter. Anything else I can do?

6. Dom90

You got an Aqueon filter right? Take out that useless blue plastic thing and throw it away, it's absolutely useless and takes up space. Cut up the sponge from your AquaClear into two small pieces and shove them into the spaces in the Aqueon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Okay, unless the AquaClear is broken, why on Earth would want to go back to a cartridge type filter??????

8. junebug

The aqueon filter doesn't have to run with cartridges. Like in any filter, your biomedia should never be changed. There is plenty of space in there to customize media as you like it. You just leave out the carbon cartridges.

As for media transfer, just cut it to fit and put as much of it in there as you can.

9. OP
    OP
    Jakoba

Thanks guys, I think I figured it out last night after I went offline. The only reason the media from the AquaClear wouldn't fit into the Aqueon is because of this plastic divider that's built into the filter. I managed to find a few smaller, empty media bags I had bought from PetSmart a while back and just split the media from the aquaclear into the smaller bags so they would fit into either side of the Aqueon.

It wasn't really my intention to go with a cartridge type filter. I got the filters for free during an event my lfs was having. My original reason for getting them was to put with a few spare tanks I had planned on selling but a few days after getting them my AquaClear finally died on me.

Are Aqueon filters really that bad?

10. Dom90

Yes, I wouldnt recommend it at all. Especially when you compare them to the AquaClears, doesnt even come close...

Imo, the only filter that's worse than the Aqueons are the Top Fin filters..

11. junebug

lol there is nothing wrong with the aqueon filters. They work very well, particularly when you opt not to use the cartridges. They are not mandatory, this is what people fail to understand. Don't use a cartridge and the filter is just a box with a powerhead, like an Aquaclear or Aquatop or Fluval or Finnex filter. They all work exactly the same way.

12. OP
    OP
    Jakoba

Thanks everyone,
    On of the things I am liking about the Aqueon so far is the fact that it self primes, which is great for our place as the power goes off and on quite randomly, even during good weather. In fact I am pretty sure that is ultimately what killed our AquaClear.

If the media is really the only problem with them than I'm sure I'll be fine as I have no intentions on using cartridges if I don't have to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice