Setting Up A New 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Idnar, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Idnar

Idnar New Member Member

Okay, I have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I was sold something that I was told was a Cory cat and ended up being a Synodontis sp hybrid 3 involving S. eupterus which will get way too big for the 10 gallon I have now.
    Current Tank:
    upload_2018-4-14_10-41-56.png
    My "new" fish (he is still really small):
    upload_2018-4-14_10-47-50.png
    But, I fell in love with these cute little fish and just bought a larger tank which is 40 gallons.
    New Tank:
    upload_2018-4-14_10-35-28.png
    I want to know if anyone has experience with this fish or similar fish (Featherfin Squeaker Catfish) If so, would this fish do well in a planted aquarium? Also, I know that this fish does well with most fish including Cichlids, would anyone have a suggestion on what to put in the tank with it? Any advice that you wish you would have had while your tank was still empty? If you have a planted aquarium is there a substrate you wish you would have used?

Don't worry, I know about cycling and water changes and the general basics of aquarium keeping I'm more looking for specific tips on this fish and the logistics of planting an aquarium.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, nice tank :) hope our members can help you today

3. OP
    OP
    Idnar

Idnar New Member Member

So I finally have water in the tank and it is cycling. I'm trying to make some some final decisions on stocking now.
    I have attached a picture of the tank currently. I used black diamond blasting sand as the substrate.

I know that the featherfin will definitely by moving over but I am trying to think of what to put him with. How does this sound so far?
    1 featherfin catfish
    5 peppered Cory cats
    8 Tiger barbs
    What is another small school or cool fish that would blend well with this group?

Attached Files:

4. wibbylynn

wibbylynn Valued Member Member

Hi there! I love your tank especially the octopus! I don’t know a ton, so I’m no expert, but I know tiger barbs can get a bit aggressive so having more hiding places might be good. I have guppies and Cory cats and they’re so fun.

5. OP
    OP
    Idnar

Idnar New Member Member

Thank you! I love the octopus too :) I was wondering if you had any advice on how to add hiding spaces while optimizing bottom space. The featherfin is a bottom dweller who gets pretty big (~8") so I wanted to leave some space for him to actually move on the bottom. Do you know of any "vertical" hiding spots?

6. wibbylynn

wibbylynn Valued Member Member

Maybe some thick tall plants would work well, or maybe some kind of cave type thing with some holes or something. Just anything that they can get to to rest would work. However if the barbs get territorial they could just claim these spots as their own lol. Maybe someone else can help a bit more but that’s my thinking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice