Setting Up A New 20 Gallon

SwishyFishy
I would like to set up a new 20 gal (long or high whichever is best for fish)
I would like to have something big, or as big as I can get and somewhat aggressive/personable (doesn't have to be aggressive)
The fish can be the only one in the tank that is okay.
Is there anything I can have? I haven't set up yet.

puffer boi
I would get a 20 long.
not sure what fish would work...

Hego_Damask
I would also get a 20 G long.

As far as a single showfish..I don’t know!

I’ve always had community tanks in my 20

emmysjj
What fish are u interested in?

ystrout
Long is best for most fish. Most fish don't prefer to swim vertically.

Maybe look into Rams or Gouramis.

LaniKai
I would go for a long 20g. I would recommend something like the German Blue Ram.

Lynn78too
LaniKai
I would get a dwarf gourami tank or a sorority betta tank in a 20 long
The problem with having a dwarf gourami is the Iridovirus disease. You might get lucky and have a health fish but its sadly very common for the fish to die.

SpaghettiFork
I would like to set up a new 20 gal (long or high whichever is best for fish)
I would like to have something big, or as big as I can get and somewhat aggressive/personable (doesn't have to be aggressive)
The fish can be the only one in the tank that is okay.
Is there anything I can have? I haven't set up yet.

I recommend a long, and maybe you could stock some sort of ran cichlid. Killifish are fun too!

SwishyFishy
I wanted like just one sole chiclid in that tank. I don't really like dg and I already have rams. Would any short body work? Or a pair of blue acara?

Frozen One
I say 20 long and that being said a betta sorority or gourami. They are labyrinth fish meaning they breathe atmospheric air. They would love a 20 gallon long.

EbiAqua
I wanted like just one sole chiclid in that tank. I don't really like dg and I already have rams. Would any short body work? Or a pair of blue acara?

A single electric blue acara might work. You could also try kribensis, flag acara, leaf fish, or betta macrostoma (giant betta).

SwishyFishy
maybe. My lfs has had a 10 gallon tank whit some rhodes/peacock (I think) cichlids but idk if they will work. Can I have 1 or 2 in a 20 long or a pair of acaras? And the puffers need snails right?

Can I do a short body cichlid? Like GT, JD or Flowerhorn? (Short body)

EbiAqua
Can I do a short body cichlid? Like GT, JD or Flowerhorn? (Short body)

All of those get too big for a 20 long. Even if their bodies stay stocky, many cichlids produce a lot of waste. I wouldn't keep a Flowerhorn in anything smaller than a 75, personally.

SwishyFishy
I will have a filter rated for a 40 gallon tank and only one of them will be in the tank alone, I thought that short bodies stay much smaller

KeyboardCat
A flowerhorn still wouldn't fit. They need a LOT more space.

Kristian Acevedo
Betta Sorority would be a fun way to go, it gives you the color and personality that you seem to be looking for, without having to only have one fish, or worry about it out growing the tank

SwishyFishy
Oh, I only wanted 1 or 2 fish so not really a sorority. How big do rainbow cichlids get?
I can't really find them around here.

KeyboardCat
What about kribensis cichlids? a 20 gallon would be enough for a pair.

_IceFyre_
Most rainbow cichlids reach about 3 inches, but can get as large as 6' more rarely.

SwishyFishy
I like rainbow cichlids how many can I keep if I do species only?

_IceFyre_
I like rainbow cichlids how many can I keep if I do species only?
I don't know that much about them, but I think you could probably do 4 if species specific or maybe 3 and a small school of tetras.

Goldfish4life
Hello everyone!

I am rather new to setting up tanks, I have a 36gal bowfront that I use for my goldfish, but when I fully move to college I will taking my 20gal long tank and stand with me. This tank is New To Me, so I'm going to do some deep cleaning before setting it up (I read that a vinegar and water mixture is safe).

I do have some stocking questions, though. I know that there is not that much water in this tank so I won't be able to have any giant fish, but I was wondering what fish go well together. I have been trying to utilize the different fish compatibility charts, but they all seem to be saying contradicting things.

I'm looking mainly for color and activity on all levels, I fear I'll buy only top-level or bottom-level fish, and then my tank will look funky.

Any ideas? Seriously, anything will be taken for consideration, I'd also like to trouble you all for an explanation, because then I can learn instead of just running to you nice people here when I have stocking questions.

Thank you all so much!
Bailey

aussieJJDude
Are you going tropical? Any particular fish you have of interest, so its something to work around?

Discus-Tang
I saw from another thread that you have guppy fry. You could add them + a dwarf gourami and 8-10 panda cories?

BottomDweller
A few options for you

Option 1, 73f
2 honey gouramis (will stay around the top and middle) or Bolivian rams (will stay between the middle and bottom)
10 neon tetras (top and middle)
8 panda cories (bottom)
5 Amano shrimp (mostly like to climb on things but will also walk around the bottom)
1 nerite snail (sides, bottom and decorations)

Option 2, 72f
12 celestial pearl danios (stay around the top)
3 platies or guppies (everywhere)
2 peacock gobies (middle/bottom area)
6 asian stone catfish (bottom but quite shy)
15 blue dream shrimp or other neocardinia shrimp (bottom and climbing on stuff)

Option 3, 77f
12 chilI rasboras or ember tetras (middle and top)
4 sparkling gouramis (mostly around the bottom but go everywhere)
8 kuhlI loaches (bottom)
1 clown pleco (sides, decoration and bottom)
1 nerite snail

Goldfish4life
This is amazing. Thank you for your help. Do you know if I need plants for these fish (any or all of the options you listed below)? I’m a little timid when it comes to plants because it seems quite tricky to get all of the variables in check.

A few options for you

Option 1, 73f
2 honey gouramis (will stay around the top and middle) or Bolivian rams (will stay between the middle and bottom)
10 neon tetras (top and middle)
8 panda cories (bottom)
5 Amano shrimp (mostly like to climb on things but will also walk around the bottom)
1 nerite snail (sides, bottom and decorations)

Option 2, 72f
12 celestial pearl danios (stay around the top)
3 platies or guppies (everywhere)
2 peacock gobies (middle/bottom area)
6 asian stone catfish (bottom but quite shy)
15 blue dream shrimp or other neocardinia shrimp (bottom and climbing on stuff)

Option 3, 77f
12 chilI rasboras or ember tetras (middle and top)
4 sparkling gouramis (mostly around the bottom but go everywhere)
8 kuhlI loaches (bottom)
1 clown pleco (sides, decoration and bottom)
1 nerite snail[/QUO

Goldfish4life
I thought that gouramis were mean? Are they not. Perhaps I’m thinking of Cichlids.
I saw from another thread that you have guppy fry. You could add them + a dwarf gourami and 8-10 panda cories?

aussieJJDude
They will do well with them, but can live without as long as there's hiding places available!

Goldfish4life
Are you going tropical? Any particular fish you have of interest, so its something to work around?

I honestly don’t have a preference. I just like activity and color. Around me I have some chain stores and one specialty store so I don’t know how much selection I’ll get. But I’m definitely looking at freshwater.

Goldfish4life
They will do well with them, but can live without as long as there's hiding places available!
The hippies need hiding places? Oh no. The temporary set up they have now is quite sparse. I’m hoping they’ll last in there until about the end of the month.

Goldfish4life
The hippies need hiding places? Oh no. The temporary set up they have now is quite sparse. I’m hoping they’ll last in there until about the end of the month.
Oops. I meant guppies. Got to love autocorrect.

Discus-Tang
They like to hide, but will potentially NEED to hide from the gourami.

aussieJJDude
More they appreciate it, not only does it reduce stress but also offers a form a enrichment.

BottomDweller
This is amazing. Thank you for your help. Do you know if I need plants for these fish (any or all of the options you listed below)? I’m a little timid when it comes to plants because it seems quite tricky to get all of the variables in check.
Option 2 should be heavily planted as they are very shy fish apart from the guppies and platies, and neocardinia shrimp really should have live plants. The rest are fine without plants but should still have a decent amount of cover. Most fish don't like sparse tanks.

aussieJJDude
Shrimp will do fine with moss, and the other fish will do fine with wood, rocks and plastic plants as substitute.

Goldfish4life
Option 2 should be heavily planted as they are very shy fish apart from the guppies and platies, and neocardinia shrimp really should have live plants. The rest are fine without plants but should still have a decent amount of cover. Most fish don't like sparse tanks.
So if I’m thinking of going with option one, I’m going to be fine with artificial plants? I don’t have the fancy UV light, and I’m hoping with my next set up after college I can really go all out.

aussieJJDude
Plants don't require UV lighting, even LED floodlights work well in growing plants. Pretty much anything that emits in the 6500K region will grow plants - since its broad spectrum, parts of it will be used for photosynthesis - well. Not as expensive and extensive as you would think.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SFGiantsGuy
Replies
Views
kintaris
  • Question
Replies
Views
inari
Replies