Setting Up A New 10g For Dwarf Craw.

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by MossBall, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MossBall

MossBall Valued Member Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post here.
    I have about 3 tears experience(10 years ago). But that was mainly with a female Krib in a 20 gallon.

Anyway, I was at the store today and fell in love with those Mexican Dwarf Crawfish. I originally went in to get shrimp for a 2.5 gallon set up but once I saw the craw I returned the 2.5 and bought a 10. I am still filling it as I type but here is a picture of the layout so far. The red circles are where mass balls will go and the red lines are where tall fake plants will go. Since I prefer the small landscape look I obviously have a lot of close and midrange size plants right now. I also picked black rocks and small blue shaded pepples to accent the craw's red color.

Anyway I can be long winded. The reason I am posting this is to get feedback. I want to make sure shrimp and a dwarf craw will be happy here the way it is set up. I know craws like hiding sports to grow, will a heavily planted section like the back left corner in the picture be good enough or do I need an actual cave type structure?

Oh an btw, my water is ULTRA hard! Just making aure that will be ok. PH is about 6.5-7.5 (from the tap) but the GH and KH are through the roof. Like for example the kit goes up to blue for GH, the test strip was dark purple. Way past the color reading on the kit.

Thanks again. Sorry this was so much info at once.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    MossBall

Can a mod please put this in freshwater inverts please. That is my fault. Thank you.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Hi welcome to Fishlore!

You tank looks great!
    Sorry I can't help with the crayfish but @The Crayfish King might be able to help

5. The Crayfish King

The Crayfish King Well Known Member Member

A crayfish should have a cave-like hiding place, plants don't really provide enough cover for when they're molting.

6. OP
    OP
    MossBall

@The Crayfish King Which one of these structures would be better? Or should I get both since there will be both shrimp and the Cray in the same tank and they will both need a place to grow.

Attached Files:

7. sheehanje

sheehanje Valued Member Member

I use a mix of cave structures, terracotta pots turned upside down, plants, and a little driftwood for my CPO. I have him in a 75 gallon community setup, but before that had him in a 10 gallon. His favorite spot in the 10 was in a cave (like in Mossball's picture) that bad an upside down pot propped up on it. For some reason, he ignores that stuff in my 75 gallon and when he molted the other day he chose driftwood for his protection.

Great and interesting aquatic pet.

8. The Crayfish King

The Crayfish King Well Known Member Member

I think both would work best if you've got both shrimp and the cray together.

9. OP
    OP
    MossBall

IMG_2321.jpg Thought I would show everyone the finished product right before I add tankmates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice