10 Gallon Tank Setting up a male guppy/endler tank-questions

Motherlovebetta

Hello-we have come to terms with the fact that for some reason Motherlovebetta can’t keep a betta alive. That being said……my daughter would like guppies, endlers or platies for her 10 gallon tank in her bedroom. It’s been two weeks since we lot the betta, have don’t multiple water changes. It’s still cycled-ph 8.0, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrates. We currently only have the small sponge filter in there and since we keep the house around 70F year round was going to take the heater out. I have cholla wood and live plants and a silk plant in there. What else do I need? A HOB? Heater?

HupGupp

Any kind of filter would be fine. I prefer room temperature for my guppies - no heater - I think it's healthier for them.

ProudPapa

Since you already have a sponge filter and live plants, I don't think you need another filter unless you plan to stock heavy.

Flyfisha

My question is how small is the sponge filter?
There are a couple of “ toy” / tiny sponge filters on the market that are in my opinion useless. If the sponge filter is less than 2 inches in diameter and less than 2 inches tall it is of almost no use in a ten as a home for the biological bacteria needed for any fish. Those tiny tiny sponge filters are nothing more than an air stone.

Do you have to thermometer? What is the actual water temperature?

I suspect a water temperature of under 20 centigrade/ 68 F ? That in my opinion is not suitable long term for tropical fish. You ether use the heater or keep a cold water species.

Do you have nitrates in your tap water?

Motherlovebetta

Since you already have a sponge filter and live plants, I don't think you need another filter unless you plan to stock heavy.
No, I don’t plan to stock heavy. Maybe 5?
My question is how small is the sponge filter?
—i just looked it up it’s 3.25” wide and 2” tall. Small sponge filter from aquarium coop.

Do you have to thermometer? What is the actual water temperature?
—Yes, currently reading 73F.

You ether use the heater or keep a cold water species.
—I have been reading a bit and am leaning towards endlers because they appear to be the smallest option of what I mentioned and everything I have read the past few days says they are cold water species.
Do you have nitrates in your tap water?
—-No, this is the tank my betta was in it’s been empty. I just have been feeding it the past few weeks and checking the parameters.

Flyfisha

This is the size of tiny filter I was referring to as nothing more than an air stone. This little filter is not suitable for a ten gallon.
image.jpg
A raffle price.
Male endlers are very peaceful together. Male guppies are aggressive and nip the fins of each other in ( note SMALL numbers) small male only groups. I would recommend getting endlerguppies with as much endler blood as possible.
image.jpg

As far as temperature goes. I am sure you can keep them alive in temperatures different to their home waters of Venezuela? A link to the first care sheet I found outside of fishlore that recommends 78 -80 F water temperature.
The Endler Shop - Care

To answer your question.
Any filter bigger than the “toy “filter pictured will work .
As far as how many, any more than 40 would not be to many in a ten. To keep more than 40 would require multiple water changes each week.

Motherlovebetta

This is the size of tiny filter I was referring to as nothing more than an air stone. This little filter is not suitable for a ten gallon.
image.jpg
A raffle price.
Male endlers are very peaceful together. Male guppies are aggressive and nip the fins of each other in ( note SMALL numbers) small male only groups. I would recommend getting endlerguppies with as much endler blood as possible.
image.jpg

As far as temperature goes. I am sure you can keep them alive in temperatures different to their home waters of Venezuela? A link to the first care sheet I found outside of fishlore that recommends 78 -80 F water temperature.
The Endler Shop - Care

To answer your question.
Any filter bigger than the “toy “filter pictured will work .
As far as how many, any more than 40 would not be to many in a ten. To keep more than 40 would require multiple water changes each week.
Endlers it is! Thank you! Very helpful read. I was wondering about salt also. My LFS keeps them in some salt. I will definitely plan to get a larger group than I was originally planning on. I’ll also leave the heater in!

Flyfisha

Salt is a poor man’s alternative to adding a complete mixture of minerals. In my town anyway I can buy a mixture of five minerals including salt , epsom salts calcium, magnesium etc etc. Or you can buy many brands of mixture of minerals for African cichlids made by Seachem etc. Adding a little to increase the GH of all change water.

Now first of all it depends on the mineral content of your tap water and if it comes out of the tap with a low GH .

Second of all it depends on how much guppy is in a particular bloodline.

A third point might be that the fish are in the shop for a small amount of time and common salt is used as a medication.
Let’s just say salt is an old school practice.
I can say it’s recognised as a strong medication that is very helpful short term . I think I can say everyone agrees salt has its place in the hobby as a short term medication. Not everyone thinks it’s appropriate long term.

So to answer your statement about keeping them in salt.
First you need to find out what the GH is of your tap water. Second if it’s low you need to add minerals. Not just salt.
Sorry for a confusing and long reply. Secondly if you buy fish that are in salt i suggest you wean them off it slowly.

My town water will keep endlers alive but needs minerals for guppies . Many people lump all live bearers in together as needing minerals in the water. See API chart on GH in picture.
048A5F2A-CB3C-4EC7-9612-9D3577702135.png

An interesting situation to think about.
In the tropical islands to the north of Australia fresh drinking water is very expensive.( I will mention Thailand as an example) Many of the breeders that supply the world with tropical fish use a large percentage of sea water because it’s cheap and fresh water parasites can’t survive in sea water.

Sorry to go on about this.
What does salt do to fresh water fish.
It burns the slime coat off making them produce a lot more slime coat. A good thing short term . Good for removing some external parasites maybe?
Long term it accumulates in the kidneys, a bad thing.

What happens when a fresh water fish is put back into fresh water having been is salty water. A sudden reduction in the need to produce lots of slime leaves the fish susceptible to fungus ( in my opinion) .

Sorry but you did open the can of worms that is salt in a fresh water fish tank.
A link to a guy I have been subscribed to for years. He loves his fish. His whole family depends on them living for their minimal income. I might go so far as to say he is more concerned about his fish than some westerners?

Motherlovebetta

Salt is a poor man’s alternative to adding a complete mixture of minerals. In my town anyway I can buy a mixture of five minerals including salt , epsom salts calcium, magnesium etc etc. Or you can buy many brands of mixture of minerals for African cichlids made by Seachem etc. Adding a little to increase the GH of all change water.

Now first of all it depends on the mineral content of your tap water and if it comes out of the tap with a low GH .

Second of all it depends on how much guppy is in a particular bloodline.

A third point might be that the fish are in the shop for a small amount of time and common salt is used as a medication.
Let’s just say salt is an old school practice.
I can say it’s recognised as a strong medication that is very helpful short term . I think I can say everyone agrees salt has its place in the hobby as a short term medication. Not everyone thinks it’s appropriate long term.

So to answer your statement about keeping them in salt.
First you need to find out what the GH is of your tap water. Second if it’s low you need to add minerals. Not just salt.
Sorry for a confusing and long reply. Secondly if you buy fish that are in salt i suggest you wean them off it slowly.

My town water will keep endlers alive but needs minerals for guppies . Many people lump all live bearers in together as needing minerals in the water. See API chart on GH in picture.
048A5F2A-CB3C-4EC7-9612-9D3577702135.png

An interesting situation to think about.
In the tropical islands to the north of Australia fresh drinking water is very expensive.( I will mention Thailand as an example) Many of the breeders that supply the world with tropical fish use a large percentage of sea water because it’s cheap and fresh water parasites can’t survive in sea water.

Sorry to go on about this.
What does salt do to fresh water fish.
It burns the slime coat off making them produce a lot more slime coat. A good thing short term . Good for removing some external parasites maybe?
Long term it accumulates in the kidneys, a bad thing.

What happens when a fresh water fish is put back into fresh water having been is salty water. A sudden reduction in the need to produce lots of slime leaves the fish susceptible to fungus ( in my opinion) .

Sorry but you did open the can of worms that is salt in a fresh water fish tank.
A link to a guy I have been subscribed to for years. He loves his fish. His whole family depends on them living for their minimal income. I might go so far as to say he is more concerned about his fish than some westerners?
I appreciate the can of worms! I enjoy learning/reading. I tested my GH/KH in the tank, the faucet (through softener) and from the tap outside (bypassing out water softener). I’m told our water is so hard because we are on a well.
The tank is ph 8.0 GH 3 and KH 11…….
the tap outside is ph 8.2 GH 20 and KH 20 the tap with the softener is ph 8.0 GH is 3 and KH is 20.

My large (75g/30g/20g) freshwater/tropical tanks I have to buy 5 gallon buckets of RO from the LFS and mix with tap water during water changes to get a Ph 7.6-7.8, GH 3, KH 11. These tanks have been running for over a year and a half with little to no issues I was hoping this 10 gallon tank I could use just tap water and avoid the RO in at least one tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
Guanchy
  • Question
  • Itserikkaaa
  • Guppy
Replies
Views