Setting Up A Guppy Fry Tank

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by JoyToTheFishes, Jul 25, 2015.

1. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Now that I'm experiencing the guppies famous enthusiasm for breeding, I've been thinking of setting up a guppy fry tank in an empty 10 gallon I have.

I've been doing some research about fry tanks, and it's left me a little confused, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Cycling, how? I've read that you can't use an over the back kind of filter because of the current? So, what do you use?

I've read about the sponge type that I think hook up to an air pump? Is that better, can you cycle an aquarium with those?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

A sponge filter would be best if you're setting up a separate fry tank. Just for the record, HOB filters aren't good not because of the current, but because of the potential for the fry to be sucked into the filter.

For guppies, I'd get an oversized sponge filter with an equally oversized air pump. For a ten gallon tank, a filter and pump rated for no less than 20 gallons would be ideal. Sponge filters are completely biomechanical and will both trap physical waste products, and provide a medium for beneficial bacteria to grow.

You'll have a hard time pre-cycling the tank while still leaving it safe for fry. If it were me, I'd just add a bunch of hornwort and a light and do frequent water changes after the fry moved in.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

4. n

nicole4434 Well Known Member Member

I have used hob filters on all my fry tanks with a prefilter sponge, just try to place the filter at one end of the tank (on the long side not short side) so they don't have to be in the flow if they don't want to and raise the water level as high as you can to lower the impact of the water from filter hitting the surface and causing agitation.

5. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I use a Aqueon 10 filter perfectly fine and my fry don't get sucked up, I have molly fry so they might be stronger swimmers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice