Setting up a goldfish tank - Questions?

1. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I've rearranged my tanks to accommodate a fancy goldfish. Before stocking:

5g: Nothing
    10g: 1 red eyed puffer
    29g: 11 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios, 1 kuhli loach, 1 mystery snail

After stocking list (eventually, fish in red are fish that I do not have yet, fish in blue are fish that I do have and plan to transfer but haven't yet.)

5g: 1 red eyed puffer
    10g: 11 neons, 1 kuhli loach, 1 mystery snail
    29g: 5 zebra danios, 1 fancy goldfish

My question is, should I leave the sand in the bottom of the 29g or take it out and have a bare-bottom tank?

2. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Anyone?

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

The 29 gallon sounds alright. I'm not very familiar with danios. Is the 29 gal a long or tall style tank? Also I'm not sure if 5 gallons is enough for a red eyed puffer. They're a messy fish and if 5 gal's is the recommendation i hear for 1 DWARF puffer I'm not sure if that's going to work for a red eye puffer...

4. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about the 29g.... it is 30"x12"x18" (LxWxH).

I think the 5g will be OK for the puffer. I think the minimum recommended for 1 DP is 5 gallons because of aggression, not bio-load. I think PFP's very loose rule of thumb is 1" of puffer per 5 gals, and he's certainly no bigger than 1.5", if that.

So, what do you think about bare bottom vs. sand?

5. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I've not used sand in a tank, but I like bare bottom with goldies. It is easier to keep the tank clean with a bare bottom. The only issue I can think of would be the danios out-competeing the fancy goldie for food. Danios are fast swimmers and the fancy goldie will be a slower swimmer. I know danios can do okay with cooler water temps, and fancy goldies do okay with a bit warmer water temps, but the danios will want a stable temp whereas the goldie will like a variable temp from day to night and season to season.

6. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Now I've got everyone transferred and all I need is the goldfish!

I decided to leave the sand in the 29g for 2 reasons: 1st, because I like the way it looks better than the way a bare-bottom tank looks, and 2nd, because it's a goldfish's natural behavior to root through the substrate, so I thought a goldie would love the sand because it would be easier and softer to root through than gravel. Also sand isn't big enough to get stuck in the goldie's innards (obviously!)

So now I only have 1 dilemma...

What kind of fancy goldie should I get? I'm thinking an Oranda. Possibly a moor, but I like the orandas better if I can find one with coloring I like. Or maybe a lionhead... last time I was at the LFS I saw the most absolutely 100% ADORABLE lionhead EVER! It had completely black eyes that gave it the cutest puppy dog expression!

7. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

I have 4 telescope eye goldfish including a black moor :) I simply love them :) I also have 2 calico fantails who I think are the cutest!But it's all about personal preference,what looks good to you!!I also prefer bare bottom tanks for my goldfish and everytime I clean my betta tank I wish it was bare bottom as well ;)

8. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I've got a bare bottom on my goldi tank and think i might try adding a thin layer of sand instead. I like the bare bottom look but my tank just isn't the best design for it and I've got algae growing on the sides of my tank AND the bottom now.