Setting Up A Feeder Fish Tank For My Flowerhorn!

goldengirls

Hey guys, I’ve acquired a flowerhorn recently, and I’ve never had a fish with a carnivorous diet. The LFS I bought him from would give him feeder goldfish and crickets once in a while.

I want to feed him live foods occasionally without the risk of parasites, so I’ve been thinking of setting up a small tank of feeder fish... or shrimp... maybe both! Maybe something that will breed easily so I have a constant supply. I'm going to be picking up a 10 gal tank after work to start cycling (thank you dollar per gallon sale). The idea is that I’ll pick up some small fish and quarantine them for a few weeks before feeding them to my flowerhorn.

What fish should I be feeding a flowerhorn? I heard goldfish have almost no nutritional value for them.

Also if anyone has general advice on keeping such a tank I would appreciate it.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
I wouldn’t do any live fish, Goldfish and Rosies are cold water fish anyhow, so even if Flowerhorns existed in the wild, those wouldn’t be there. However, flowerhorns are far from wild fish, and I wouldn’t do live fish. My Jaguar doesn’t get live fish either. Crickets are fine in moderation, I found one on my floor yesterday and gave it to my Jag lol.

OP
goldengirls

goldengirls

I wouldn’t do any live fish, Goldfish and Rosies are cold water fish anyhow, so even if Flowerhorns existed in the wild, those wouldn’t be there. However, flowerhorns are far from wild fish, and I wouldn’t do live fish. My Jaguar doesn’t get live fish either. Crickets are fine in moderation, I found one on my floor yesterday and gave it to my Jag lol.
I have read so much conflicting information on feeding flowerhorns live food I definitely wouldn’t feed goldfish anyway, I was going to choose something with similar water requirements.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
If you want to breed Mollies or Guppies, those can both be found in Mexico, they also like moderately hard, warmer water. However, you certainly won’t deprive him of nutrition, as feeder fish do very little for them.

abcdefghi

I don't think you need to set up a feeder tank, it's definitely not a requirement with keeping them. You can feed them all sorts of carnivore pellets, frozen blood worms, brine shrimp etc. Take a look here, some good information

Crickets are fine in moderation, I found one on my floor yesterday and gave it to my Jag lol.

I do the same with my Figure 8 puffer, drop in a cricket now and again, he happily munches them down.

OP
goldengirls

goldengirls

If you want to breed Mollies or Guppies, those can both be found in Mexico, they also like moderately hard, warmer water. However, you certainly won’t deprive him of nutrition, as feeder fish do very little for them.
Great suggestions... I don’t plan on making live food an every day thing but he’s very picky!

I don't think you need to set up a feeder tank, it's definitely not a requirement with keeping them. You can feed them all sorts of carnivore pellets, frozen blood worms, brine shrimp etc. Take a look here, some good information

I do the same with my Figure 8 puffer, drop in a cricket now and again, he happily munches them down.
I’m looking at the live food to just be a treat once in a while, he’s very picky and I’m trying to get creative I guess

Nikki2577

Well Known
I’m looking at the live food to just be a treat once in a while, he’s very picky and I’m trying to get creative I guess

I give mine guppy fry but that’s only because I have way to many, that’s only about once every 6 weeks. I like a staple food of pellets or homemade food Your flowerhorn will eat most anything you give him if you hold out on live food. Just wait a couple days to feed him

Good luck!

Smokin99

I agree I don't not feed my FHs feeder fish, good quality pellets are their main diet... and maybe once a week they get blood worms, clams or shrimp for a treat. Long ago I had Convicts that bred non stop and most all their fry were repurposed, don't do that anymore but never had a problem.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ruturaj
Replies
Views
MONSTER GOBY
Replies
Views
Temperate
Replies
Views
Sam Layton
Replies
Views
FranM

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Vishaquatics has a nice write-up on how to get your plants to turn red or more colorful:
Guide To Getting Plants To Turn Red Or More Colorful

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom