Setting up a fancy guppy tank

1. kittykat0725

kittykat0725 Valued Member Member

So I was thinking about useing my bettas old 2.5 gal tank for one fancy guppy. I really like guppies, but I had them before and the first one died and the other one had it's tail lost from neon tetra. So I am thinking maybe no? Please tell me if a 2.5 gal would be suitable for one male fancy guppy. And what I should buy for tank. (it only has a little heater and marbles for substrate. i was thinking about getting a mini filter?)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

A betta would be great :)

3. hollie1505

You'll need a filter for any fish.xxx

4. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

i just said i wanted a fancy guppy not a betta my betta is in a 10 gal now

5. hollie1505

I personally wouldn't keep a guppy in a 2.5G, I would only keep a Betta.xx

6. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I agree. You should get another betta. Too many bettas isn't possible. Haha. xx
    Putting one guppy in a 2.5 gallon CAN be done, but that doesn't mean its right to keep it in there. I'd think that a guppy would get lonely all by itself. They like to interact with others.
    Your best bet would be getting another little cute betta. They're fabulous, ya know. ;)

7. hollie1505

8. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

Already have frogs, I really wanted a guppy, I will just sell the tank or leave it as a quarentine tank

9. hollie1505

What are the chances?! How about shrimp? You could have a nice little colony in there :) or just have a really pretty aquascape!

10. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'dgo with red cherry shrimp. They are so much fun to watch.

11. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

You guys OP wants guppies :p
    If you really want guppies, or something very closely related, you can go with Endler's Livebearers.
    They are basically mini guppies in a way, they don't grow much and are still very attractive.
    You can definitely get a few in there but just dont get males and females or they will breed and over populate the tank very soon.

Here are some pictures and info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=end...b6igKAioHYBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1100+1584&pcatid=1584
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/poecilia-wingei/

These fish are pretty cool, they are fancy, tiny, and there are some really cool strains of them as well similar to guppies, but smaller :D

They are also pretty cheap sometimes since they are actually sold as feeder fish for bigger fish but you can find some quality ones from breeders online.

And actual guppy in a 2.5g tank will definitely get lonely and tired of such a small tank. Personally i think guppies should require a minimum of 10 gallons to be comfortable and maybe you can get away with a 5 but 10 would be better.

12. petaddiction

Honestly, I don't think endlers should be put in a 2.5 gallon tank. I have 3 of them myself in a 20 gallon tank and they sure love their space. :)

13. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Who is OP?

14. A

Original Poster

15. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

No livebearing fish, including guppies or endlers (even pure wild endlers), is suitable to this tank. If you really want to have some, you'd be best off putting the betta back in the 2.5 and using the 10 gallon for a tank of 5-7 male guppies with perhaps a few snails as cleanup crew.

16. A

But then the betta would be so jealous! Downgrading the betta for some endler's or guppies.

I agree a 2.5g is still a bit too small but the endler's are smaller than the guppies so it is a good alternative when space is the issue. A 10 gallon tank would be more adequate.

17. petaddiction

Don't downgrade the betta, please. It won't become jealous as it doesn't know that guppies are getting the tank but it will become sad and inactive. Bettas can become severely depressed when moved from a larger tank to smaller tank. And the difference between 2.5 and 10 is huge.. 4 x bigger.
    Just imagine you're room in fourths. Pretend your room is the only place you can live. First there is only 1/4 of the room you can live in. Then you get 4 x the amount you originally had so you have room to move and live! Then all of a sudden you only have 1/4 again. Wouldn't you be sad?
    If I were you id leave the betta where it is and if you really really want guppies then you can try to find a larger tank on Craigslist or ebay for them.

18. A

Well of course it doesn't know but yeah it will get sad as it is most likely very comfortable with 10 gallons to itself. Considering most people who keep them have them in bowls and vases.

19. OP
    OP
    kittykat0725

Yeah, I am not going to downgrade the betta I agree with you guys, when i put him in the bigger tank he became more active and pretty. I am going to give the tank to my friend who "accidentally" won a betta at our fair.

20. petaddiction

Awh that's nice! Help them out with the nitrogen cycle ;)