Setting Up A Dirted 25 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mickiemas, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Mickiemas

MickiemasValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    25 gallon planted grow out tank. Take a look and suggest other plant for me to add

2. Jimmie93

Jimmie93Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +116
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That tank looks pretty rough you should probably re-seal it first but if you are starting out I would go with stuff like christmas Moss, Java Moss, Java Fern I use them in all of my tanks they can grow under any kind of lighting conditions and never have issues. Dwarf Sagittaria is also good for carpeting and is low maintenance and maybe try some duckweed or amazon frogbit for the top? They are great plants if you control them and they remove a lot of nitrate.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Mickiemas

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's a very old tank. Those hardwater stains can't even come off trust me I've tried. It needs a resealing but lazy to do it. It's basically just for my fry so it's ok.not sure about the duckweed but the rest sounds like good choices

I also have dwarf sag and narrow leaf sag in there but for some reason they're not doing well and the fishes keep picking at them making it worst.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  4. Jimmie93

Ratings:
    +116
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You may have non plant friendly fish I only have one planted aquarium and my dwarf sag does so well I have to trim it every few weeks. But frogbit would probably be better for the top if you are mainly going for bottom plants if they grow too much you can just throw the extra away or put them in another tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Mickiemas

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I really like the plants in the substrate. I trimmed the says and ever since they just seem to be struggling.
    I have goldfish gourami and swordtails but all are just fry.

6. Jimmie93

Ratings:
    +116
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm not sure about the gourami but swordtails are great with plants some plants will die out at first and come back a few weeks later and will be fine once the tank is established.

7. OP
    OP
    Mickiemas

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They were doing great in the same tank before it only started after I trimmed them cuz they were getting too tall. I guess I will have to remove the fishes and see if they bounce back.

8. Jimmie93

Ratings:
    +116
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    As long as you didn't touch the roots trimming plants shouldn't effect them.

9. OP
    OP
    Mickiemas

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do u think if I cut them down to nothing and remove the fishes would that sprout new growth or would that kill them I really want to get them bk to the way they were before

Become a Fishlore Member