Setting Up A Bigger Tank With Our Old Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Jakkie, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Jakkie

JakkieValued MemberMember

So I plan on getting my boyfriend a 20g long for his birthday next month as an upgrade to our current 10g. I was wondering if we just move all of our decor, plants, and filter (a Tidal 35) from our current 10g to the new tank, will it still need a while to cycle? I feel like it wont since we're not starting with all new stuff but I'm not sure. We obviously would need more (new) substrate but would mix it in with our current sand and rocks. Would love your opinons.

2. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

As long as you don't let the gravel and filter dry out, you won't have to re-cycle the tank. After the upgrade, just add 1 or 2 new fish at a time, so the cycle can catch up, and you shouldn't have any problems.

3. OP
    OP
    Jakkie

Perfect thats what I was thinking, thank you. I'll probably let it run with just our fish for a week or so before putting any new ones in anyways and do it just 1 or 2 at a time like you said.

4. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like a plan! Would love to see a pic. I think 20 long is such a beautiful size!

5. OP
    OP
    Jakkie

Haven't gotten it yet but when i do and its set up I'll definitely update with pictures. Also, do you think our current decor will look too bare in a 20 long? we'll probably get more anubias plants for the upgrade but im wondering if our set up now will look odd when its spaced out in a bigger tank. Heres a pic of what we have now
    20190601_124054.jpg

6. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

You'll be amazed at how much that will spread out. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference, but you can never go wrong with more plants ;)