Question Setting Up A Bigger Tank With Our Old Equipment

Jakkie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I plan on getting my boyfriend a 20 gallon long for his birthday next month as an upgrade to our current 10g. I was wondering if we just move all of our decor, plants, and filter (a Tidal 35) from our current 10 gallon to the new tank, will it still need a while to cycle? I feel like it won't since we're not starting with all new stuff but I'm not sure. We obviously would need more (new) substrate but would mix it in with our current sand and rocks. Would love your opinons.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As long as you don't let the gravel and filter dry out, you won't have to re-cycle the tank. After the upgrade, just add 1 or 2 new fish at a time, so the cycle can catch up, and you shouldn't have any problems.

OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Iboughtmykidfish said:
As long as you don't let the gravel and filter dry out, you won't have to re-cycle the tank. After the upgrade, just add 1 or 2 new fish at a time, so the cycle can catch up, and you shouldn't have any problems.
Perfect that's what I was thinking, thank you. I'll probably let it run with just our fish for a week or so before putting any new ones in anyways and do it just 1 or 2 at a time like you said.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
Perfect that's what I was thinking, thank you. I'll probably let it run with just our fish for a week or so before putting any new ones in anyways and do it just 1 or 2 at a time like you said.
Sounds like a plan! Would love to see a pic. I think 20 long is such a beautiful size!

OP
Jakkie

Jakkie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Magicpenny75 said:
Sounds like a plan! Would love to see a pic. I think 20 long is such a beautiful size!
Haven't gotten it yet but when I do and its set up I'll definitely update with pictures. Also, do you think our current decor will look too bare in a 20 long? we'll probably get more anubias plants for the upgrade but I'm wondering if our set up now will look odd when its spaced out in a bigger tank. Heres a pic of what we have now
20190601_124054.jpg

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jakkie said:
Haven't gotten it yet but when I do and its set up I'll definitely update with pictures. Also, do you think our current decor will look too bare in a 20 long? we'll probably get more anubias plants for the upgrade but I'm wondering if our set up now will look odd when its spaced out in a bigger tank. Heres a pic of what we have now
20190601_124054.jpg
You'll be amazed at how much that will spread out. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference, but you can never go wrong with more plants

New Threads