Setting Up A betta Tank

SammyShuford

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 10 gallon tank, using a marine land bio wheel filter. I picked this filter as I have 4 bio wheels on a 150. Take one of those and put it in the 10G. With a functioning bio bed do I “Need” real plants? The filter will oxygenate the water.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
  1. I have a 10 gallon tank, using a marine land bio wheel filter. I picked this filter as I have 4 bio wheels on a 150. Take one of those and put it in the 10G. With a functioning bio bed do I “Need” real plants? The filter will oxygenate the water.
Nobody needs real plants in an aquarium. It's a personal choice.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I mean, if it's for a betta, they don't need extra oxygenation at all since their labyrinth organ lets them breathe air. And if a betta is all that's going to be in a 10g, you probably wouldn't even need a filter as long as you do the weekly water changes like you should.

Though, regardless of all that, plants certainly never hurt to have. If you don't want to go through the bother of lights and ferts and what have you, growing a pothos cutting or two out of the water's a great idea. Looks very pretty, sucks out what little pollutants one fish will produce, eventually grows a thick bundle of roots for your fish to play in.

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Real plants is not a must, but having real plants does have benefits, plus they most definitely will not tear your Bettas fin which some take plant might. U can run a low tech set up of just light and fertilizers. Just dose according to the bottle's instruction and provide sufficient lighting for plants to grow. Plants like java fern, java moss and anubais may not even need fertilizers.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A betta will want a lot of hides and things to explore, which may or may not be easier to do with live plants. They're very aggressive, but also easily stressed.

Most people recommend heavily planted tanks for them (can't see one side from the other.) I don't know how important it is, but that's what I'm aiming for with my own betta tank. With live plants, you can get a few java ferns and/or other plants and slowly fill the whole tank.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I mean, if it's for a betta, they don't need extra oxygenation at all since their labyrinth organ lets them breathe air. And if a betta is all that's going to be in a 10g, you probably wouldn't even need a filter as long as you do the weekly water changes like you should.

Though, regardless of all that, plants certainly never hurt to have. If you don't want to go through the bother of lights and ferts and what have you, growing a pothos cutting or two out of the water's a great idea. Looks very pretty, sucks out what little pollutants one fish will produce, eventually grows a thick bundle of roots for your fish to play in.
Bettas need exactly the same tank conditions as any other tropical fish. Clean water, a filtered, heated tank, decent food. They are no different from any other tropical fish. Would you put a kissing Gourami in a 10 gallon un-filtered tank?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas need exactly the same tank conditions as any other tropical fish. Clean water, a filtered, heated tank, decent food. They are no different from any other tropical fish. Would you put a kissing Gourami in a 10 gallon un-filtered tank?
That's... what. I didn't say any of that at all?

First of all, a kissing gourami is not comparable to a betta at all. The largest bettas get up to 3 inches or so max. Kissing gouramis can grow up to an entire foot in size, and thus have a much larger bioload. Ten gallons is a pretty luxurious size for a small, slow-moving fish like a betta. Comparing the two is like saying you can't keep a kuhli loach in a 20 because clown loaches grow to be enormous.

And yes, I have and I do keep bettas in unfiltered five to ten gallon tanks. They're heated, planted with pothos, and they eat a mix of high quality flake, frozen mysis shrimp, and live fruit flies. Between the betta being the only thing in the tank, weekly water changes, and the pothos, I have zero nitrates or ammonia. I'd say that's pretty clean.

Yes, bettas require warm clean water and good food. You do not, however, need to give them a 100 gallon tank with a canister filter to achieve an ideal environment. A filter is helpful, but not essential, when your stocking is one small fish in a relatively large body of water, combined with nitrogen eating plants. The only point I was making was that oxygenation is a non-issue for a fish that can breathe air.

Last edited:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only point I was making was that oxygenation is a non-issue for a fish that can breathe air.
The only point I was making is that Bettas need the exact same conditions any other tropical fish needs. A labyrinth organ doesn't make a betta able to tolerate permanent low oxygen conditions in a tank any better than any other tropical fish. Bettas and Gouramis are very similar other than appearance and size. They are from the same order of fish (anabantiforms). So I wonder why no one ever suggests putting even small Gouramis in tiny unfiltered tanks with uncertain oxygenation? They are labyrinth fish too.
Is my point taken?

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Woah! Calm down. @SammyShuford, the filter should take care of oxygenation, ammonia, and nitrite just fine. I'm not too sure about how quickly it would cycle, so don't add the filter media more than a day before the fish to preserve the bacteria, and check all three parameters very well for the first week or so.

You never need real plants, though I personally always love them, and they can be a cheap way to slowly fill the whole tank while cleaning the water, both things bettas love. Make sure to have good, betta-safe, hides! (If it snags a pantyhose, it will snag your betta!)

Other than that, just follow good tank maintenance, checking parameter once a week and keeping water clean.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom