Setting Up A Betta Tank

kjw0916

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to set up a Betta tank for my kids. I would be the one caring for it though. My kids are 3 & 4 and not ready to be responsible for a living creature. Anyway, my questions are:

What is the ideal tank size? I know the tiny ones are bad and I want space for some plants anyway. I was debating between 2.5 5 or 10g. 2.5 feels like it might be too small though.

Would a Betta do better alone or are they happier with tank mates as long as they are appropriate? (Same temp/ph preference w compatible personalities)

I've read mystery snails are ok with them. Is that true?

Any general advice or warnings before I get started?

Thanks in advance!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recommend at least a five gallon tank for a single betta, you may be able to do it in a smaller tank over a gallon, but I don't recommend that anymore due to the fact that a betta really will explore every single inch of any tank regardless of the size.

I keep my betta alone, as there's nothing really suitable for a five gallon tank besides shrimp or snails, and because of my water (and my betta's taste for shrimp) I cannot keep any of them. I wouldn't suggest putting any fish with your betta unless they are completely temperature compatible, and unless the tank is over 20 gallons for a community. You can do a mystery snail in a five gallon with a betta, although those types of snails will produce a lot more waste than most other snails, so you may need to do more maintenance to keep things in check.

They need a filter that won't grab their fins when they swim by it, mine swim on and around the filter all the time and a powerful intake area, especially the slotted ones, can easily catch a betta's delicate fins and tear them. The water should be consistent at 78-82 degrees, and I recommend achieving that by using a quality heater that can be adjusted to fit your needs depending on the outside temperature as well. The care for a betta is pretty straightforward, there isn't anything terribly difficult about them, the only thing is that some can be fussy and also very fragile in certain circumstances. I had quite a hard time establishing even one betta to any of my tanks.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 10 gallon would be your best bet. A 5 gallon is minimum but smaller tanks can be a pain to cycle. Bettas are best kept alone. Some do ok with snails others do not.

Your gonna need an adjustable heater set to 80 degrees. Live plants are your best bet, if you don't want to go that rout avoid plastic plants as they can rip his fins. Silk is your best bet there. As far as a filter I recommend a sponge filter. If you go with an HOB you should get a pre-filter sponge so his fins don't get stuck.

Be sure to fully cycle your tank before getting a fish. Bettas don't do well during a fish in cycle.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you plan on using an HOB for your betta, then you should baffle your filter. Bettas, especially the long-finned variety, don't do best with strong currents.

OP
kjw0916

kjw0916

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all so much. I was planning on real plants but had not considered the filter intake.

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d like to add in that you should have a lid, bettas can be jumpers. If you want live plants, make sure you are getting a light that is designed to give off the correct type of light to grow them.

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d like to add in that you should have a lid, bettas can be jumpers. If you want live plants, make sure you are getting a light that is designed to give off the correct type of light to grow them.

OP
kjw0916

kjw0916

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The_fishy said:
I had a betta once a long time ago that jumped out. I know now that I had it in horrible conditions. I really want to do it right this time.

OP
kjw0916

kjw0916

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kjw0916 said:
I had a betta once a long time ago that jumped out. I know now that I had it in horrible conditions. I really want to do it right this time.
Also, the plants I have are pretty low light friendly. My 20 gallon is becoming a bit overrun with them so I plan to move a couple over to the betta once I get that tank ready.

New Threads