Setting up a betta tank

1. Gemma86 Initiate Member

Hello lovely people!
    I'm looking to set up my first betta tank, but I don't want him to be lonely in there. Equally, I don't fancy a tank of dead tank mates either. Any advice on what I keep in there with him for a bit of company?

2. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

A Mystery Snail!
    You could try some shrimp too. My betta actually doesnt mind the Ghost Shrimp in his tank, but I think some people have had their Ghost Shrimp eaten

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Edit: Welcome to Fishlore!

What size is the tank?

You can't really add anything to a 5 gallon or less due to size and bioload.

After spending time reading through similar posts, a 10 gallon can house a betta and invertebrates, like shrimp and snails.

A 20 gallon can house a bottom layer species of fish because they need that footprint or larger to be kept in a school. Some people have had luck with keeping tetra that don't nip and don't have long or fancy fins.

But, with either route, have a backup plan in the event that things go south. It's all up to the betta and what he'll tolerate. Each one has it's own temperament.

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would do nerite snail instead of mystery snail. Betta's many times like to snack on their eye stalks since they are more exposed. It also depends on what your tank size is?

I personally wouldn't put bettas in a community, but depending on the personality of the betta some are successful with a twenty gallon or larger heavily planted tank.

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I second on being hesitant on a betta community.

But my betta does not and has never bothered my Mystery Snail. And he has gotten huge since I got him! Definitely an eye catcher.

But every fish has its own personality and may not want any friends at all

6. Gemma86 Initiate Member

Thank you for all the replies, I haven't bought the tank yet, I wanted to decided what was going in it first. I have a QT tank I can use if it doesn't work out. I'm in the UK so I work in litres lol. I already have a 150 litre tank and would never put him there, which why I thought I'd make him a home specially

7. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well from what I just looked up 20 gallons is about 75.7 liters if that helps at all.

8. Gemma86 Initiate Member

Thank you, I'm sure I'll get the hang of the conversion soon!

9. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I suck at conversion so I use a goggle conversion calculator. ;)

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

There's a calculator/converter at the bottom of the page ;)

11. Gemma86 Initiate Member

Yay! I have a 40 gallon tropical tank, the kids have a 20 gallon coldwater tank and currently cycling a 100 gallon saltwater tank :)

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you want a sorority? I have one, but of females and it's a big tank:). If you want a sorority let me know and I can help ya. Betas all have different personality, so always have Another tank just incase one beta isn't happy or wanting anything to do with the others.

13. Gemma86 Initiate Member

Thanks for a lovely offer, but I think I'm a little too far away lol

14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

From? How big is your tank?!

15. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I think it was meant as an advisor role, not a fish supplier one :)

I might add to my earlier reply, it's not recommended to keep a Betta in a community, but there's been success in larger tanks. Keeping tankmates means being able to care for their needs in addition to the other fish.

A sorority is a great idea, too. Females may not have the same male finnage, but have the same personality with a bonus of being able to keep more than one in the tank, although it's recommended to be in numbers of five or more. They do establish a pecking order and are able to dither themselves

16. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Every beta has a different personality. I recommend if you are going to have a male beta in your tank, I would add the tetra's first, so he doesn't select a territory before they do. I placed my beta in my 60gal community tank last and he does just fine:)

17. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Lol. Meant same 'amount' of personality. I tend to skip a word or two when I write a post that long, even with a quick proofread

18. Gemma86 Initiate Member

I've just re-read the message and see what you mean lol. I was planning on going with the single male in a nice home of his own, but I've always thought they look a little lonely so was thinking of some shrimp friends or something along that line?

19. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Well it could actually do all three. The divider could be up alittle so the shrimp could get through but not the betas:). So you would have a beta on each side and have shrimp to:)

20. Grimund Well Known Member Member

That depends on the betta. Mine really loves to squeeze into tight spaces, like behind the heater

I've found that they seem far less lonely looking in a planted tank, but it's subjective to the individual looking. Plants would help your shrimp, too, but I've heard of betta that go hunting for them.

I would start with three ghost in the tank and see how the betta reacts. Then if all is good, you could find some that better suits your fancy. I would recommend a 10 gallon for that

Tags: