Setting up a Betta tank for the first time :)

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,

So I've been thinking for a while about setting up a Betta tank. I already have two tanks in the house so may as well get a third, right?!

So far I literally have nothing for this, this is all theoretical at this stage. I am eyeing up this tank for it:

What are people's thoughts on suitability for a Betta?

I've read the Betta care sheet on here a couple of times and having had my other two tanks I'm clear on how the nitrogen cycle works...BUT, I read a very interesting piece about cycling using plants only (although it essentially sounded like using plants to skip cycling altogether). Has anybody done this? I have my other tanks that I can seed from with the new tank but it seems pointless unless there is something in the tank for BB to eat?

Essentially I was wondering whether there were any pointers you guys could give a Betta Beginner before I dive in on the newest adventure, other than that is in the care sheets. Any hints/tips/advice much appreciated!

Thank you

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a really nice tank! I think a Betta could be very happy in there

As for the cycling I think what you're talking about is known as a silent cycle though I don't know much about it. I think the plants basically eat all the ammonia before the bacteria can get their paws on it

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the reply I like the idea of giving a Betta a mansion lol, they are always in such tiny spaces in the shops.

The idea of doing a cycle like that intrigues me but for now I have too many questions about it to attempt it. More research needed e.g, where would the ammonia come from originally? Would I have to introduce it myself? The last time I attempted to dose ammonia to cycle a tank it did not go well...lol I basically fell over my cat and dumped half the bottle in as I fell. I was not amused!

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LOL oh I am sorry, I shouldn't laugh! I think though, and I wouldn't trust me on this, that the plants are ready to eat when you feed them. No need to add ammonia as long as there's some fertilizer in the tank.

Bettas do like plants and things to explore, I know that much

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha that's okay, I laugh about it too now (less so at the time though...LOL). I will read up about the plants, one of my current tanks is heavily planted but I must admit I've always been very lucky with them...I stuck some random plants the LFS had in there and they have doubled in size over the last 6 months, they don't get fed or otherwise looked after but they're doing great! Luckily my LFS dude is a plant enthusiast and I'm sure he'll willingly chew my ear off about plant fertilisers and such! haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom