Setting Up A 90 Gallon

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Last year i rescued what i think is a common pleco from a bad situation. My friend’s abusive boyfriend broke her tank. Luckily she only had one fish, and i was able to take him. However he has quickly outgrown the 29 gallon i have him in currently.

So, i will be taking my 90 gallon out of storage for dearest Archibald. He will be the only fish in the tank. What can i do to set up the tank for ideal pleco keeping? I feel badly that he has been in the 29 gallon for so long, so i want to make it extra nice for him.

I just ordered a pleco pack from Tannin Aquatics which has different kinds of bark/seed pods/leaves. I have some peices if driftwood as well. I am planning on using floating plants (i have red rooters that will not stop spreading) as well as emergent plants such as pothos and bamboo. Are there easy, low maintenance plants i can keep inside the tank? I know plecos are prone to messing up plants but i would like to keep more plants.

What is the best kind of substrate?

Would it be good to add some snails?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How big is he? Yeah honestly he’ll probably mess up the plants. However, Wisteria, Java Moss, Java Fern, and Amazon Swords are some easy plants. Also, Plecos don’t require much, and are often the fish that always seems to live through anything. It’s awesome you’re taking such good care of him though. Post a pic and I can tell you if it’s a common or not also! You’re absolutely allowed to add snails, and even fish. I’d suggest some really good filtration, ideally a canister filter, on the tank. Plecos are pretty messy fish. I don’t believe the substrate really matters for them.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you seen those suction cup plant holders? It’s a little glass bowl that sticks to the side of the tank. I was thinking of using those so the plants won’t be directly in the ground. Other than that i can stick to floating and emergent plants.

He is probably six inches. He was doing okay in the 29 gallon. I set it up so 1/3 of the tank was a big cave so he had a good hideout. Despite that, i know the tank is too small and it isn’t fair to keep him in it. Now that the issues i was having in my tanks are under control, it’s time to set up the big tank.

I do have a canister filter, although i’m not sure exactly which one or if it works. Hopefully i will be able to start setting up today. I used it for the 90 gallon previously so i think it should be good. It’s the same shape as my other filter and the filter in my mom’s tank, which means i have a decent amount of BB seasoned filter media to start with.

I will try to get a good picture as soon as i can! he likes to hide.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here’s a picture of Archibald. Is he a common pleco?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here’s a picture of Archibald. Is he a common pleco?
Yes he is a common pleco, he will grow between 14-18 inches long and between 3-4 inches across (shoulder to shoulder, not including fins in either measurement). I would see if you can find a nice pond or a 125 for him to live out his life in.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I will look into rehoming him in the future. I would not rehome unless i found someone who i knew would give him a better home than i can. Maybe in a year or so i will be able to upgrade! He’s about six inches right now so i think the 90 gallon will be good for the time being. I’m gonna arrange the driftwood so he has lots of cover to hide but also plenty of open space to hang out.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, it’s pretty sparse right now. i’m gonna add more driftwood and fake plants. I’m so happy he has plenty of space!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom