Help Setting Up A 90 Gallon Planted Aquarium

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm thinking about setting up a 75-90 gallon freshwater aquarium in my living room, the stocking would probably be 7-10 discus along with some other temperature compatible fish. This is important for this thread because discus need to be kept at a higher temperature than most other freshwater fish (~84 degrees).

I've only done smaller tanks (5-20 gallons) up to this point, and haven't really needed any expensive or heavy-duty equipment up until this point.

I'm wondering, besides from the tank and the stand, what is the best equipment set up to go with based on reliability/$. I'm thinking two canister filters, but not sure what brand or size to go with. Also, for heating, that might be pretty expensive too since my house temperature can get as low as 68 degrees.

So, what should the filtration, heating, and lighting setup be on this tank?

Also, in terms of the scape, what is the most affordable planted substrate for a tank this large?

bendresbach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think 7-10 discus is a lot if that’s where they will live thier whole life maybe start with 3 and work up to 5 and maybe 7 if you have great filtration and keep up with your water changes

And filtration wise I have 2 fx6’s on my 75 gal with a sump

Last edited by a moderator:

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think 7-10 discus is a lot if that’s where they will live thier whole life maybe start with 3 and work up to 5 and maybe 7 if you have great filtration and keep up with your water changes
I fully understand how the nitrogen cycle works, I wouldn't be dumping them all in to a fresh tank at once. I know it's a lot of fish, that's why I'm asking for suggestions for tank equipment.

And filtration wise I have 2 fx6’s on my 75 gal with a sump
If I were to start with a smaller stock, and work my way up over time, would it be okay to begin with one canister filter and increase filtration as time goes on?

I've heard XPs are very pricey in comparison to other canister filters. How much better are they than, lets say sunsuns, that are $90 for a similiar GPH to a $330 XP filter? (Fluval Fx6 v. Sunsun 304B)

Last edited by a moderator:

bendresbach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I were to start with a smaller stock, and work my way up over time, would it be okay to begin with one canister filter and increase filtration as time goes on?
Depends on the canister filter I run 2 fx6’s on my 75

They are pricier but the quality shows just the pure gph a fx6 is way better than 8 sunsuns

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are pricier but the quality shows just the pure gph a fx6 is way better than 8 sunsuns
I seriously doubt that, they have a similar GPH rating and can hold a similar amount of media, I'm not even sure if the fx6 has UV. I'm not rich, and I'm probably just gonna get a sun sun unless someone can give me an evidence-backed argument that the fluval is worth paying 400% the price. It might be different if it was $70-90 vs. $140, but it's $70-90 vs. $340. I can't afford to drop $700 on filtration for a tank in one go.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I seriously doubt that, they have a similar GPH rating and can hold a similar amount of media, I'm not even sure if the fx6 has UV. I'm not rich, and I'm probably just gonna get a sun sun unless someone can give me an evidence-backed argument that the fluval is worth paying 400% the price. It might be different if it was $70-90 vs. $140, but it's $70-90 vs. $340. I can't afford to drop $700 on filtration for a tank in one go.
You are correct. Fluval is a high profit company. They are all made of plastic and have a big pump. You can get 2 Sunsun/Polar Auroras at 525 gph each for only $68 apiece. Maybe even the Sunsun HW3000 at 790 gph and variable pump flow with controller. Rated 4 stars and above on Amazon. My Sunsun is going on 8 years, never a problem. I would even suggest one canister and one HOB.

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You are correct. Fluval is a high profit company. They are all made of plastic and have a big pump. You can get 2 Sunsun/Polar Auroras at 525 gph each for only $68 apiece. Maybe even the Sunsun HW3000 at 790 gph and variable pump flow with controller. Rated 4 stars and above on Amazon. My Sunsun is going on 8 years, never a problem. I would even suggest one canister and one HOB.
It's going to be in my living room, so I don't want a noisy HOB, but thanks for sharing your person experience with sunsun. Unless the filter is guaranteed to stop working within a year of purchase I just don't see how the price of a fluval is worth it.

Also, I'm super nervous about choosing the right heater. The fact that it can malfunction and immediately kill a tank of fish is horrifying given how much more expensive discus are than any fish I've kept so far. I've heard fluval E heaters are good but they seem like there is a trade off of reliability for the on-board LED display, which frankly seems useless. I've had really good experience with aqueon pro heaters, so I don't see why not to get that for the 90 gallon, but larger. Would one 300 watt heater be enough for the whole tank?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would one 300 watt heater be enough for the whole tank?
Here is the table to help with what size individual heater you need. Delta T is the difference from the lowest ambient room temperature in the room to your desired tank temperature. Always get a heater larger than you think you need so just round up to the next nearest size.
Heater Guide.jpg

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom