Setting up a 90 gallon aquarium

1. Partsman41953 Initiate Member

Hi all,

I am new here but not really new to salt water aquariums. I have had a 28 gallon reef tank with pulsing Xenia, orange mushroom coral and green mushroom coral along with a couple of clown fish. This system is using a HOB Reef Octopus BH100 protein skimmer.

I am venturing to a 90 gallon system which will be using a sump and have no idea what is involved. The tank is a drill Aqueon tank that is 48 x 18 x 25. Since I have no idea about this I purchased a low stand that is only 24" high as I thought it would be easier to do the maintenance of the system without having to stand on a stool not realizing that I could have a problem with a sump and a protein skimmer. I am planning on having both LPS and SPS coral along with fish but do not ask me what corals as I do not know one from another. I am just looking to have a colorful tank and open to suggestions.

I need advice with the following:

1. How do you plumb the system?

2. What size sump would you go with?

3. What protein skimmer would you recommend? My son in Florida who services aquariums told me that I can do without a protein skimmer as long as I do weekly water changes...it that true and is that the way to go?

4. I am looking for programmable lights that go on and off gradually. I was looking at DsunY lights and Current Orbit lights.

5. How much sand would I need?

6. Which return pump would you recommend?

Those are the questions I have now but I am sure I will come across more as I proceed.

Thanks for any and all your help.

G. Gilbert

2. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hi, and welcome to Fishlore :). From what I can gather there is no room under the tank for a sump and the necessary room for plumbing above the sump would even further prevent it from being there (especially a drilled one which would HAVE to have a sump system). If you decide to keep this stand your going to have to have the sump system reside beside or behind the tank which is very odd and I couldn't help make suggestions for. In regards to a protein skimmer, they are absolutely necessary and get a very good one at that. This would be especially true for a reef tank. If you want to go without one I suggest doing ALOT of WC's very frequently and IMO expect the worst at least for the corals and such. Maybe some else could help better but this is how I see it.

*suggestion - replace the stand!