Setting Up A 75 Gallon Tropical Freshwater Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by wapooshe, Apr 17, 2017.

1. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

So I just created my fish tank and it has been fishless cycling for about 3 days now. I added the bacteria they sell at Petsmart to speed up cycling and plan to add fish in 7 days from now. I plan on starting off by placing 2-3 angelfish for the first, then a week later maybe 5-6 rainbow or neon tetras, then another week later 1 pleco (please recommend one good for my set up) and then finally a few glofish/zebra danios. My only experience with fish is 2 gold fish in a 15 gal. tank who are doing well right now. Please reply any issues with my setup. Also feel free to recommend any other nice fish to add to my setup as I only have a narrow mind in the variety of fish that I can choose from. One thing for sure is, is that I want angelfish. Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

edit to post: also my light is an LED that really only covers most of the center brightly and is dim on the sides. Will this be good enough? I couldn't afford a light that would spread across the entire tank.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

You have some stocking issues that with plan. We can help you come up with a more appropriate plan, if you're interested!

The method you're describing won't cycle your tank. Take a read through these on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling:
    Important - Important Cycling Information
    Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Let us know if you have any questions after reading those!

4. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

thanks for the reply! I would be interested in a more appropriate stocking plan. Also, I read that ammonia is needed for bacteria to survive. I do not have any bottled ammonia but i read that one could just use fish food instead. How would I go about doing this? Finally, I read that Bacteria supplement does not allow for bacteria to grow naturally and mature. Will i need to do a full water change or could i just continue as if i never had the supplement? Thanks again!

5. TexasDomer

You can use fish food, but it does not release ammonia at a constant or reliable rate. You should be able to find pure ammonia at a hardware store, if that's an option.

No, you don't need to do a full water change. Many bacteria starters aren't useful, but they should not be bad for the tank.

You also have the option of doing a fish-in cycle, but you'll need to choose hardy fish to cycle (ones that you'll keep afterwards) and keep up with water changes so you don't harm/kill the fish during the times of high ammonia and nitrites.

Zebra danios and neons aren't temperature compatible with angels. None of the glofish (skirt tetra, zebra danios, tiger barbs) are either.

What about something like this for a stocking plan?

1-2x Angelfish (watch for aggression - as adults, two may not get along, even if they were previously a pair)
    8x Congo tetra
    8x Boesemani rainbowfish
    10-12x Sterbai cories, bronze cories, or kuhli loaches
    2x German blue ram
    1x Clown pleco

6. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

This stocking plan looks amazing! However, can my 75g tank hold ALL of these fish or just some of the listed?

7. TexasDomer

All of them :) I'm a pretty conservative stocker, too!

They inhabit different levels of the tank, so they're not all swimming in the same space. You can remove a species or two if you want though.

8. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

thats awesome thanks for all the help!

9. TexasDomer

You're welcome! Pics when you get it put together!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice