Setting Up A 50g

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 60g on the go right now, I just bought 4 tanks a 50g, 2x25g and a 20. I plan on setting up the 50 this weekend, Im still kinda new at this and this round I want to use plants. I plan on moving my angels or my loaches over once set up.
whats the best plants for a novice and whats the best way to set things right.
I have no filter, heater i plan on going sand substrate, ill be buying filter and heater and sand this weekend.
I heard of people soiling their tank and substrate on top and heard of just substrate and tabs.
Whats the right chems to get ? Ive heard the tabs are good and bad and same with the liquids.
will i also need to get a CO2 pump?

Once this is done, im going to tear down my 60g and convert to plants. I tried planting with the fish in but my loaches keep tearing the plants up, thus why im going to get the 50g going first before placing fish.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dirted tanks with caps are great if you want the Blackwater look as the soil will leech tannis into the water over time.
Aside from that if you want the clear water look most common root tabs and sand are your better bet.
It's also important what types of plants you are wanting. Swords and lillies do better in deeper substrates while others do fine in less deep ones. And things like anubis and java fern don't need any substrate at all.

Attachments

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
should I add plants while im doing the first cycle. The filter will be new, should i let it cycle first?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can indeed and I would recommend it. Really it doesn't matter at which point you add them during the cycle as long as the ammonia isn't too terribly high(>3-4ppm) and plants can bring along BB to help the cycle along. But since you already have an established tank you can add media from that filter to your new one and completely skip the cycle process as well. If you decide to just cycle the tank normally take in mind that you will have to watch the ammonia a little closer to make sure it doesn't get used up by the plants too quickly as they prefer ammonia over nitrates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom