Setting Up A 50g Tank

Danni524

So, I got a 50g tank and am looking for some good recommendations on what filters and heaters to get for it. I'm very excited since this will be my biggest tank I've kept.

Also, if anyone has an suggestions on what fish to stock it with, please feel free to share.

I'm thinking about maybe some goldfish, but not sure if I'd have enough room in the tank for them. (Also, I know they won't need a heater).

One more question, I know I'll need to cycle the tank. When I do my water changes for my other two tanks would putting the water I'm taking from them in the new tank help it cycle or does anyone have a better suggestion to get the cycle started?

Thanks for the help!

MrBryan723

As far as recommendations; you get what you pay for is a good rule of thumb. Look at reviews. Fluval is my main go to, but i like some aqueon stuff as well.
I wouldn't personally do goldfish in a 50, but you can. Fancy ones don't get too big. Just staw away from comets and koi.
The water changes will do nothing. Use filter media out of one of your establiahed tanks and skip the cycle altogether. Just feed the tank ammonia until youre ready to add fish with cycled media. You can also get a new filter and run it on an established tank to build up the bb for the cycle.

Upvote 0

Madchild57

So, I got a 50g tank and am looking for some good recommendations on what filters and heaters to get for it. I'm very excited since this will be my biggest tank I've kept.

Also, if anyone has an suggestions on what fish to stock it with, please feel free to share.

I'm thinking about maybe some goldfish, but not sure if I'd have enough room in the tank for them. (Also, I know they won't need a heater).

One more question, I know I'll need to cycle the tank. When I do my water changes for my other two tanks would putting the water I'm taking from them in the new tank help it cycle or does anyone have a better suggestion to get the cycle started?

Thanks for the help!
I use 2 aquaclear 50s, one of each end, of my 55 and it works very well. I also use 2 150 w heaters. Water won't get the cycle started since bactera grow on surfaces so try filter media, substrate, or decorations from an established tank.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

If you add some filter media from an established tank you can add fish right away without going through the cycling process. How many fish you can start with will depend on how much filter media you add and how heavily the tank was stocked that it came from, but it will be best to start slow.

As stated above, adding water from established tank will have very little, if any, benefit.

If you're looking for stocking suggestions you can click on "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see what I have in my 40 and 65 gallon tanks. I'm pretty happy with them.

Upvote 0

emilymg

I use 2 aquaclear 50s, one of each end, of my 55 and it works very well. I also use 2 150 w heaters. Water won't get the cycle started since bactera grow on surfaces so try filter media, substrate, or decorations from an established tank.
I was also going to suggest aquaclears! A really good option .

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
BobbyGregg
  • Question
Replies
Views