Setting Up A 20gal

Ghuyyad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5F22DA7A-4838-4B16-B52C-26A4C5F27AEB.jpeg
would like some opinions on my 20h tank. It’s been set up for a month now, all fish doing grate.
5- Cobra Guppys
2- baby BN Pleco
1-mystery snail

I also have a 90gal in my basement, I’ve been in this hobby awhile, I’m posting on the beginner thread because I’d like to talk about my new 20H gal that I placed in my room. for everyone saying it’s overstoked it’s about 102% filled tropical aquarium but I’m filtering about 133% so the waters getting turned over. I do about a 5%-10% water change every morning with the vacuum. Overall this small tank has been fun. Photos are attached

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It is overstocked, even with the overfiltering and water changes. The BN plecos will grow to about 5" and they're pretty messy. The high bioload and two 5" fish in a 20 gal high is overstocked. BN plecos also need driftwood to chew on, so I'd add some to the tank. Make sure you're feeding them veggies as well.

Cute tank though!

Ghuyyad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Oh good, so they'll be moved to the 90 gal soon!
Yes. In a year or so give or take. The feamale is growing super fast but male is still very little.

TexasDomer said:
Oh good, so they'll be moved to the 90 gal soon!
It annoys me that the guy at petco told me that both these BN pleco could thrive in even a 10gal so you could say I was really sueded because of my 20gal. But he was wrong like most pet shops they are usually misinformed

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would definitely do it before a year. I'd do it after just a few months.

Yes, unfortunately most LFS give bad advice. They either don't know or are just trying to sell you fish.

Ghuyyad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hego_Damask said:
I have 6 glowlight Tetras / 4 cory cats / 2 honey Gourami & a few ghost shrimp in my heavily planted 20 G high

If that helps!
Nice!

Ray larson

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
It is overstocked, even with the overfiltering and water changes. The BN plecos will grow to about 5" and they're pretty messy. The high bioload and two 5" fish in a 20 gal high is overstocked. BN plecos also need driftwood to chew on, so I'd add some to the tank. Make sure you're feeding them veggies as well.

Cute tank though!
That takes years before they are 5inches..,,

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ray larson said:
That takes years before they are 5inches..,,
Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avi reached his full size in about a year, maybe a year and a half. He is at least 5 inches long from tip of nose to tip of tail. Some may grow slower if not given proper food and room to grow but he grew quickly.

Ray larson

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avi reached his full size in about a year, maybe a year and a half. He is at least 5 inches long from tip of nose to tip of tail. Some may grow slower if not given proper food and room to grow but he grew quickly.
The beautiful girl in my 50 gallon tank and avi is 14 months old and isn’t near close to her full adult life. Some info just shouldn’t be shared unless it’s factual

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ray larson said:
The beautiful girl in my 50 gallon tank and avi is 14 months old and isn’t near close to her full adult life. Some info just shouldn’t be shared unless it’s factual
It does seem like some grow slower/faster than others. I guess it would be safe to say that it is possible that the 2 this thread is addressing could grow fairly quickly and may need to be moved sooner than expected or they may grow slower and can stay where they are for quite a while.

Ray larson

Reaction score
Tut
mattgirl said:
It does seem like some grow slower/faster than others. I guess it would be safe to say that it is possible that the 2 this thread is addressing could grow fairly quickly and may need to be moved sooner than expected or they may grow slower and can stay where they are for quite a while.
I agree . I should be moved soon cleaner water / footroom etc but that 20gal should be enough for at least a year of its life life...

Chynna

Reaction score
Ghuyyad said:
Yes. In a year or so give or take. The feamale is growing super fast but male is still very little.

It annoys me that the guy at petco told me that both these BN pleco could thrive in even a 10gal so you could say I was really sueded because of my 20gal. But he was wrong like most pet shops they are usually misinformed
don't listen to anything pet store workers tell you. They're uneducated and only trained to know the basics. They also care more about making a sale than proper care for a fish. If you want an animal, it is your responsibility to do your own research. Never buy something without being properly educated on it. I have a baby BN also, I was told it could thrive in my 20g tall. I moved him to my 50.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom