Setting up 96 gallon corner tank

1. VAFish

VAFish Valued Member Member

So I'm picking up a used 96 gallon corner tank this week/next weekend sometime. I have a cycled 75 gallon that I use a sump on. What's the best way to transfer some BB from the sump to the new tank? It has a canister filter with it. I apologize for not knowing the correct lingo for the insides of the sump, but I've attached a pic for reference. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436121431.226754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. NicoFord

NicoFord Valued Member Member

Why not use the sump and canister filter at the same time

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean exactly. The sump is on my 75 and the canister that's coming with the 96 gallon will be used on that tank.

4. NicoFord

Ooh for some reason I was thinking you where tearing down the 75. I would put the media you want to put into the canister in the 75 sump for now and let it get seeded

5. OP
    OP
    VAFish

Unfortunately I won't have that filter/media until I pick the tank up. I was hoping there was a way I'd be able to transfer some of the media from the sump to the canister.

6. NicoFord

If I see media balls in your sump you could use some of them. Depending on the canister you should have room to put them in

7. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I was hoping that would work. I wasn't sure how good they were for holding BB. I'm sure I could fit quite a few in the canister from what I have seen of it.

If I decided to hook the canister up to the 75, how long should I keep it going before it would be good to move to the 96?

8. NicoFord

I usually add new fillers to my established tanks for about 2 or 3 weeks before adding to the new tank