set up

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hashfrowns77, Jul 18, 2015.

1. H

Hashfrowns77 New Member Member

So I'm getting a 150 gallon tank for my birthday next month. This will be my third, and largest one yet. I want a catfish tank. The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by David E. Boruchowits says that this build is great but I'm not sure...

(this build is based on a 75g tank)

Cories x6
    glass cats x4
    debauwi cats x8
    Ancistrus x2
    upside down cats x5

But I'm not sure because I did some research and found that glass cats have to be kept in schools of at least 6. That's not an issue with the size of my tank compared of the size of the tank this build was made for.. I'm just not sure how much faith I can put into his opinion now. I've also heard that glass cats are really, really picky and get sick at the drop of a hat, so if this is a beginner build, why would he include them?

My dream fish is actually a humongous pleco, but I wanted some java moss and java fern and Anubis. I really want to try Carolina fairy moss too. Bristlenose don't eat aquarium plants like common plecos, do they?

I'm going to have a live java moss background, a large driftwood centerpiece, and sand substrate.

As for filtering, I'm making my own wet/dry filter.

If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it. Thank you for reading all that.

2. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

BN pleco don't eat plants
    Yes, you are right, glass cats aren't good beginners, so skip them
    Cories and Upside down cats are good

:)

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

It seems you have too many bottom feeders in your current stocking list. All of these fish are basically catfish that live near the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The Op says he wants a catfish tank

Edit: Forgot to say welcome to Fishlore :)

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I just reread the post... It's gonna end up being a fairly empty tank though, no top or middle swimmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

For Cories, I would 3 groups of 8, or 2 groups of 12.
    I would skip the Glass cats. You could do Otocinclus after the tank has been running a good 6 months. Could do probably 12 of them, but at least 6 for a minimum.
    Debauwi cats are similar to glass cats it seems. I would skip them as well, unless you are familiar enough with them.
    Ancistrus are great. They should mess with your plants. I would do an albino and a regular. If you get a male and a female and they reproduce, you will have 20-50 baby plecos to deal with.
    Upside down Cats would be fine. I would recommend in a tank your size, 8 of them.

Provide enough cover and dens for the Upside down cats. They are primarily nocturnal and will hide during the day in rock piles or driftwood crevices to get out of the light. Their eyes are sensitive to the bright light so maybe having some floating plants like Hornwort would help.

The cory, plecos, and syno cats will have your bottom very well stocked. You should have some dither fish though and a centerpiece. Have you thought about any of those?

7. OP
    OP
    H

All of the fish require the temperature to be about 78 degrees, with soft, acidic water. What top/mid swimmers would you suggest?

8. alink

I would do 8 Giant Danios for the top layer.

I would do 10 Boesemani Rainbowfish for the mid layer.

And 2 Angelfish as the centerpiece.

I would also set up in your sump some red cherry shrimp to start a colony. They will be great feeders for your catfish.

9. OP
    OP
    H

Is there a way to quarantine them to make sure they don't have any diseases before I start feeding them to my fish?

10. OP
    OP
    H

Also thank you, Coradee, for welcoming me. :)

11. alink

You can quarantine the first batch you get from your source, I would say 10-15 of them. Put them in a separate tank (not the main or the sump) and see if they survive or not. If they live and start reproducing, I think your good to move them. If the parent fish are healthy, the babies will be as well. If anything develops down the road, it came from somewhere else.

12. OP
    OP
    H

No, the shrimp. Can you (and do you) quarantine shrimp just like you do fish?

13. alink

I was talking about the shrimp. :) Yes you can. Ghost shrimp are bred to be feeders, so the quality of care taken in their environment isnt the best. Plus they wont reproduce in fresh water. Red Cherry Shrimp are a little more expensive and are cared for better by the breeders. They will reproduce in fresh water. Getting a large amount of them to start with, like 10-15, will give enough diversity to the gene pool in your colony that it shouldnt become much of an issue.

14. OP
    OP
    H

I thought the whole point of quarantining a fish was to keep it from giving whatever it has to the other fish in the tank. If you have 15 shrimp in one quarantine tank, won't they just pass anything they have to each other?

15. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

We quarantine fish in batches too... besides, assuming you get your shrimp from the same source, they're all going to be carrying the same thing anyway, if indeed they are sick. I mean if you were getting 6 tetras to add to your tank and brought them home all at once, you wouldn't keep them separately in 6 quarantine tanks...

16. alink

In that regard yes. But I wouldnt be quarantining 1 shrimp for 2 weeks, then get another one for 2 weeks, etc. It would take a year to do that and they only live about a year. I would buy the batch, quarantine the batch and if they are all good and healthy after a few weeks, move them in. Same thing as buying a school of fish. You dont buy 1 at a time and QT it for 2 weeks and then get the next. You usually get the whole school, QT the school and if all stay healthy, move the school to your display tank.

Thats the way I have done it, and would do it again.

Does that make sense?

17. OP
    OP
    H

Yes, that makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice