Question Set up new tank for kids....something is wrong.

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I just set up a 10 gal tank for my kids. The tank was not new it was given to me by my sister in law and I cleaned it very well with water only. Everything in the tank as far as decor was cleaned as well before adding it to the tank as well. The only thing added to the water is prime. I was reading before that if the filter is not coming apart then don't change it, I did however clean it too real good ( I know that this kills the bacteria ) with tap water.

I have only had the tank set up for 2 days, no fish....trying to cycle the tank. There is something on the top of the tank that looks like an oily film? I don't know what it is or where it came from. Can anyone tell me what to do about this and is it a concern?

Thanks

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd just skim it off.

Was the tank up and running before it was given to you?

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Jaysee,

The tank wasn't up and running when she gave it to me it had been in her garage for like 6 months.

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I tried to see if I could skim the film off the water but it isn't going anywhere?

MizRamzi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
break the tank completely down and wash with 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water. allow mixture to soak. Rinse well with warm water and allow to air dry. Who knows what was in the garage!

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much I will do that and see how it goes.

Last edited:

fishnob

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there

If you don't have an airstone in the tank moving the water around I would bet that it a film from the prime. I use prime in all 5 of my tanks and the one tank that does not have an air stone always has an oily type film on top for a few days after I do a water change.

I think I might have seen a few other posts on here saying the same thing....

Good Luck

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you have the tank set up with no fish to cycle, then how are you cycling it? If you are adding ammonia then maybe you have something in your ammonia that is causing the film.

If you have no ammonia source then you can not cycle the tank. Just FYI.

If you have not added anything to your tank but water and prime then I would also say break down the tank and clean again with vinegar as posted above.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would also invest in new filter media. If that was sitting around for 6 months, it's quite likely that it it won't function properly in the tank at this point.

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oh ok, I will keep an eye on it then for a few days before breaking it down again. I don't want break it down if I don't have too.

MizRamzi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She stated that the tank had been sitting in a *garage* for 6 months and the only thing she used to clean it was *tap water* sorry but I would still tear it down. It's only a 10g and an easy clean. Better safe then sorry.

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I went ahead an broke down the whole tank, cleaned everything really good and used the vinegar and water as suggested by MizRamzi. Thanks so much, that helped a great deal! No more oily stuff. I do have one question though, while I was cleaning everything the filter came completely apart. I am going to go get a new one but in the meantime is it okay to run the filtration system just to circulate the water since there are no fish in there?

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How are you cycling the tank?

As for your filter coming apart if you put it back together and it is working fine then there should be no problems with it. If you are planning to replace the filter and you are currently cycling the tank you will want to move as much of your current filter media over to the new filter as possible so you won't have wasted your cycling effort so far.

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tank has just been set up for 2 days only, nothing was in it before. My sister in law had it in her garage, I just cleaned it all up and was using what was there. Before that her daughter had fish in it for about a year. The filter was messed up pretty bad so I am just going to get a new one. Since setting it up 2 days ago, there was an oily film on top of the water so I had to break down the whole tank clean it again and just started it over this evening.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just asked because you said in your first post you knew tap water killed bacteria but if you haven't started to cycle the tank yet you don't have to worry about the bacteria. And a filter that was in the garage for 6 months is not going to have any bacteria

bowcrazy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter media has to stay moist for the bacteria to live. When you get your new filter - if you know someone else with a tank set up see if you can swap your new media for their old used media. You get the needed bacteria to cycle your tank and they get new clean filter. I have helped lots of people set up new tanks that way. I have more than one filter running on all my larger tanks so that I can set up a new tank quickly. I sat up a new 10 gallon the other day for baby guppys almost instantly by using rock and plants from my 55 gallon tank and a spong filter that I had running in that tank. I also filled the tank about half way with water from the 55 gallon tank and finished filling it up with new water. That is the only way I have found that works 100% of the time when tring to cycle a tank without fish.....I don't use the feed the tank method.....seems to not work very well and fouls the water and rock quickly.

As for the oil looking film on the top of the water I have seen this before on tanks with only a spong filter running. I sure can be a combination of the new tank, prime, new water, and slower filtering along with the slower movement of the water.

Good luck with your new tank.....

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
x that helps so much even for future reference. I will definitely keep that in mind. Right now I don't know anyone who has a tank (not that can be trusted anyway). Do you have any other suggestions to helping the tank start off without the feeding the tank method. If not how do you go about feeding the tank? I have a 55 gal. but I didn't know all of this when I started it just 6 weeks ago and I am cycling it with fish. (Got in too big of a hurry)

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Claudicles,

I understand.... I am actually really lost, I just read that about the bacteria in the filter and not washing it with tap because of the chlorine. The filter was a used filter, so that was a concern but I guess I see your point if it has been sitting for 6 months then how could bacteria live. I didn't think of that...sorry I am a blonde...lol. I think I am trying way too hard and I am going overboard. I just want to make sure I do this the right way, and when I started my 55 gal. I thought I did to find out that I was going about it wrong and got kind of overwhelmed. Basically, I think I am making this harder on myself than what it really is

asmith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
x this is awesome! Very helpful information, I really appreciate it. I will definitely use it to try and speed things up

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom