Set Up My First Planted Aquarium, Would Appreciate Feedback

1. Balian Initiate Member

Hello All,

Around three weeks ago, I set up my first planted aquarium. It's one of the new Juwel Rio 240's, I absolutely love it! I'm something of an amateur, though I've been doing a lot of reading around this forum, so much useful knowledge and expertise!

What do you guys think of the tank? It's three weeks into the cycle and all seems to be going well. I've even got new growth on some of the plants, without using any CO2 injection (although I am using API liquid CO2 booster daily). I plan to add CO2 injection in a couple of weeks.

Although they can't be seen, I've got six siamese algae eaters in there, they've done a marvellous job at removing the initial hair algae outburst! They seem to have settled in quite happily with minimal stress. The SAE's have been in for a week, I'm thinking of adding some Harlequin Rasboras this weekend, would you guys recommend this?

Any other tips or advice regarding best practices and plants would be appreciated. I know it looks a little bare in terms of foliage, I'm definitely planning on adding more plants in the upcoming weeks, I thought I'd let it mature a little first since most of the initial plants have been covered in brown spots. Diatoms I believe?

Would appreciate any feedback! :)

Attached Files:

2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

LOOKS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!

3. James17 Well Known Member Member

It looks fantastic, looks a lot better than mine does.

4. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

That looks so good!

5. James17 Well Known Member Member

I ought to hire you to come to my house and fix mine. :)

6. Balian Initiate Member

Thanks guys for your kind comments! I made a mistake in my initial post, I don't have any SAE, the breed I have is Siamese Flying Fox. They've been getting quite aggressive towards each other lately, not sure if that's normal or not?

Also, does anyone have a CO2 system that they recommend? I'm thinking of getting one of the JBL ProFlora systems, would anyone recommend this?

7. Balian Initiate Member

Added some Longfin Zebra Danios and a few Amazon Sword plants. I'm now three weeks into the cycle and all seems to be going quite well, even had some new growth on some of the plants.

I do find it a little strange how my ammonia never really surpassed 0.25 whilst I was doing the fishless part of the cycle. Perhaps it's because the plants have simply been absorbing all the toxins?

Attached Files:

8. Balian Initiate Member

Hi All,

So the tank is just over 3 months old now and I've had some great plant growth (recent pictures attached). Just thought I'd share my experience as a newbie for anyone who's interested.

I found that adding CO2 injection really helped my plants thrive, coupled with EI dosing that I started recently. Using API Leafzone coupled with Flourish wasn't really enough for me, I had yellowing leaves with holes, which signalled a macro deficiency. Since the EI dosing, I've noticed the plants are a lot happier.

I've been battling some brown algae problems though, which I think are diatoms since it's still a fairly new tank. Hopefully the Otocinclus I added recently should help clear it up. The tank is quite well stocked now with 35 fish in total!

- 9 Harlequin Rasbora
    - 8 Cardinal Tetra
    - 6 Rummy Nose Tetra
    - 5 Siamese Algae Eater
    - 2 Pearl Gourami
    - 5 Otocinclus

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attached Files:

9. danhutchins Member Member

Looks great!!

10. Jrsyhomegrown87 Member Member

Looks awesome so far!!! I would definitely get some foreground plants going, and if you're into driftwood and moss as well. Here's a shot of my 65 high. 016f48ecb1df431d56b9c5c27904d977.jpg

11. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Great job!

So many times I tell people to change over ferts and am not believed, happy to hear about your experience :)

12. Balian Initiate Member

Thanks! Wow your tank looks beautiful! Totally agree I need some foreground plants. I actually planted two pots of Monte Carlo for a nice carpet, but my SAE's just ripped them all out! Since posting the pictures I have added pebbles in the foreground with some Anubias Bonsai, which look really great.

But I'm definitely going to attempt carpeting again.

I love your mixture of colour by the way, the red and green contrast very nicely!

13. Jrsyhomegrown87 Member Member

Thank you very much! Took some time to get it there

14. Balian Initiate Member

Here's a recent shot taken a few weeks after the last post, I think it shows the effectiveness of the EI dosing and CO2, the plants are growing incredibly well!

Attached Files:

15. Zachiodos Initiate Member

:DThat's amazing, like looking into a stream in the wild.

16. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

WOW that tank is amazing!! I love it!! Any chance you want to share a quick primer on dry ferts and EI dosing for beginners...?