Set up first aquarium NO SUCTION??

GKat250000
GOT IT FIXED Thanks!

Hey fishies,

I just bought and set up my first aquarium, a Marine Hex 5. (Got a titanium heater too) Spring water's up to 80 degrees. Biospira is ready. BUT no water seems to be entering the pump filtration assembly (where it would be turning the bio-wheel and running through the filter cartridge, etc). The impeller is whirling (by the way, I am a first time fish keeper so I am saying all these words, but I'm not an old pro) and I can feel it vibrating, but when I put my fingers near the intake tube and strainer, I feel no pull and no current whatsoever (I even put a bit of tissue paper down near it and it's drawing nothing towards it).

Does it just take a long time to get going?
Did I just get a bum Pump Filtration unit?
Did I forget to add a part? (On the hex five, it looks like you just attach the magnetic impeller assembly to the pump filtration assembly, and then add the intake tube and strainer. I have no extra parts left to add.) [Unless I have to do something to the impeller?] I already took off the Intake tube to see if a loose connection was causing no suction.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks. GERRY

Wolfgang8810
make sure there isn't anyhting in the intake tube. Also you shouldnt use the bio spira until your ammonia is at 3 ppm you can but it is most effective when starting it at 3 ppm so the bacteria have something to eat .

GKat250000
Got It Fixed> Thanks!

Hello all
I just bought and set up my first aquarium, a Marine Hex 5. (Got a titanium heater too) Spring water's up to 80 degrees. Biospira is ready. BUT no water seems to be entering the pump filtration assembly (where it would be turning the bio-wheel and running through the filter cartridge, etc). The impeller is whirling (by the way, I am a first time fish keeper so I am saying all these words, but I'm not an old pro) and I can feel it vibrating, but when I put my fingers near the intake tube and strainer, I feel no pull and no current whatsoever (I even put a bit of tissue paper down near it and it's drawing nothing towards it).

Does it just take a long time to get going?
Did I just get a bum Pump Filtration unit?
Did I forget to add a part? (On the hex five, it seems like one simply attaches the magnetic impeller assembly to the pump filtration assembly, and then adds the intake tube and strainer. I have no extra parts left to add.) [Unless I have to do something to the impeller?] I already took off the Intake tube to see if a loose connection was causing no suction. Even without the intake tube, there is no suction

Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

GKat250000
nothing in the tube. Even when I remove the intake tube, there is no suction directly from the impeller housing/assemby.

Wolfgang8810
make sure the intake tube is firmly pressed down around the impellor. did you prime the filter?

COBettaCouple
Do you have a pic of it? The water is up to the line, right? Do you have a turkey baster that you could use to try to blow air out the filter intake from where the water comes into the assembly?

GKat250000
just fixed it. Awesome you guys!THANKS!

susitna-flower
Ever heard the old western song about priming the pump? Not to imply you are old, but I am, and it is something I'm familiar with. Long story short, you have to prime the pump.

Take the top off the bio-wheel, and pour some tank water through, it can take several times, but it should pick up the suction, and keep going. You don't want to run the motor without the cooling effect of water, so don't just run it without it pumping.

GKat250000
Perfect! It works. THANKS!

Wolfgang8810
no prob have any pictures?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
edlab03
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redviper