Set up a planted 10 gallon out of spare parts. Now what should I put in it?

What to stock with?

• Betta, Shrimp, Snails

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Chili Rasbora+Betta, Shrimp and Snails

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 3 Guppies+Snails and Shrimp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sparkling or Honey Gourami trio + Shrimp

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other, let me know in comments

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all. The boredom and cabin fever got to me today so I set up an empty 10 gallon I had laying around once I realized I have everything I need to set it up already. Substrate is dirted and capped with some old sand substrate I had left over. Lighting is a Current USA Satellite Plus led which has about 36 PAR at a 12 inch depth. A little aqua-tech 5-15 filter. I think I have another one of those laying around I may add to the tank once I stock it. No CO2. NilocG Thrive ferts. The plants were just extras and trimmings pulled from my 55 since I did a big trimming on it today. I found some scraggly looking plant stems buried under other plants in my 55. I'm not sure what they are so I stuck them in the 10 to see if I can revive them. There's also some stem plants behind the rocks that aren't tall enough to be seen yet but eventually I'll have a bushy stem plant area behind the rocks once they grow.

So that's the setup. Now what should I stock it with? Looking to keep it simple and stay within the realm of what PetCo would carry since that's the only pet store near me. They usually actually have a reasonable stock. I'm open to just about anything. What would you put in this tank? (I set it up like an hour ago so it's still pretty cloudy)

a.jpg
b.jpg

bmuckluck

Reaction score
I think galaxy rasboras are so pretty.. or a couple of pea puffers! they are so fun to watch.. just unfortunate they recommend not housing with anything else

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I voted for sparkling or honey Gouramis with a lean toward the sparking. Although I’m projecting my own wants as I want to re-do my 10 g quarantine (when I’m finally finished with it as a quarantine) into a heavily planted sparkler tank. :)

OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I had to break my quarantine to go pick up some Seachem Prime from PetCo to do water changes today. I had planned on getting something to stock the 10 gallon as well but they currently aren't selling livestock because of COVID. So I went online wanting to get some fish and not pay an absurd amount on shipping and I stumbled on someone selling Hellboy Plakat Betta's for $20 and free shipping.

Long story short he'll be here next week. Once PetCo is selling livestock again I'll pick up some Amano Shrimp, nerite snails and maybe 6 ChilI Rasbora or Neons if the Betta is mellow. I know Betta's are basic but it's been many years since I've had one, and even then they were your standard variety you get in cups from Walmart.

I'll post a tank update once the Betta and some other new plants are in.

New Threads