Serpaes are chasing... more than usual...

Fish20G

Hi, everyone. I'm down to four serpae's in my 20 gallon high and have noticed a lot of chasing today. Long story, but I was down to two, decided to build them back up to five. Everyone was getting along great then one of the originals died. That's all I have in the tank now except for 5 plants and a rock sculpture with a bubbler and an air stone. Planning to add more but taking a pause after the last death, and realized my pH is 9 so been thinking through that.

I think chasing is normal, but this is new and more concerning. Also, one of them has a really small tail fin. Doesn't look damaged, just small. He gets chased the most and seems stressed out :( Between that and the fact that I'm down the rabbit hole on pH and GH, I'm not quite sure what to do next. I'm afraid adding neons will just get them chased. Or anything slower or smaller.

No specific question, just interested in thoughts.

A201

The chasing behavior you described is normal. Inactivity would be more of a concern.
You might consider adding live bearers to your tank. Many species thrive in hard water w/ elevated PH.

BigManAquatics

My serpaes chase each other often, but with 12 of them in the school, they don't really stress each other out. Also keeps them from going after the other fish in the tank.

WRWAquarium

I was going to say up the numbers of the schoal may help.

Fish20G

The chasing behavior you described is normal. Inactivity would be more of a concern.
You might consider adding live bearers to your tank. Many species thrive in hard water w/ elevated PH.
^ Very relieved to hear. We like platys but had bad luck first go around and do not want the stress of baby fish really.

My serpaes chase each other often, but with 12 of them in the school, they don't really stress each other out. Also keeps them from going after the other fish in the tank.
^ Also a relief and good idea.

I was going to say up the numbers of the schoal may help.
^ Thanks and reinforces BigManAquatics point as well.

I guess I have to commit to the serpaes. Maybe go get two more. That's 6 and would make 9.5 inches of fish in my 20 gallon (tall). Not much room left. I may forgo my sought-after neons (had them as a kid) and get some bottom guys like cory cats maybe. Need something small... but everything seems to like a group of 6.

Thanks everyone. Love getting the responses and ideas!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• grace123
  • Platy
Replies
Views
grace123
Replies
Views
LalaLand
Replies
Views
ruud