Serpae With Black Neons?

GlassBoxOfStuff

Was given 3 serpaes for my 20 gallon long planted tank. I've read that a school needs at least 6 tetra, so I went to Petco and purchased 3 more. I also picked out 1 clown pleco and 1 black neon tetra (story about the neon below). Waited forever for an employee (horribly understaffed, I guess) to get the fish for me. She didn't have much knowledge and was REALLY rough with the net and the fish seemed stressed (overly crowded tank).

There was a sale for $1.00 black neon tetra. Only 1 black neon was in the tank occupied with other, larger species of fishes. I decided my planted tank should offer enough hiding spaces/cover. And worst case I could separate him in a spare tank.

Welp... I didn't even drive out the parking lot before one of the serpaes started floating in the bag. Boyfriend got upset and went in to replace the dying serpae. On the ride home 2 of them started dying.

Called Petco and offered a refund since only 1 of the 3 serpae made it home alive. Thankfully the pleco and neon is fine.

Surprisingly the lone neon joined the serpae school of 4 and they've been schooling without any trouble.

I would like to up the serpaes to 6 with live (...haha) fish. Could I also have a small school of these black neons? This guy seems really cool and it's like the serpae don't care he's around.

Nataku

6x serpae
8x black neon
1x clown pleco

Will pretty much stock a 20 long as the plecospare real poopers. Thankfully if itsI planted you'll have a little leeway there.
Keep an eye out on the neon. Serpaes have a tendency to nip when not in a proper sized school. The neon is hopefully fast enough to get away fron the serpae but itsI only a 20 long, speed means little if they manage to corner him.

Crafty Cichlid

My experience with tetras is that there is plenty of interspecies schooling. I also have a lone-survivor white cloud that has been accepted into the danio shoal, his endler buddy disappeared immediately upon entry to the tank. Endler is either super good at hiding, or was hoovered up by something bigger. Or just hated moving from a nano to a 60g.

I like that load-out.
6x serpae
8x black neon
1x clown pleco

86 ssinit

Yes my tetras all school together with no problems. Had a lone neon with my serpaes for over a year.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
YellowFish13
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views