Serpae Tetras Wont Eat

jchunter13

I have purchased a few serpae tetras a couple days ago who are currently the only fish in the tank. I assumed they didn't eat the first 2 days due to stress from being moved, but now I am worried. I have been feeding new life spectrum pellets. One ate a pellet this morning, but I think he ate it because the pellet fell and hit him in the head.

KimberlyG

Welcome to fishlore!
Do you have any flake food that you could try. I have several fish that will not eat NLS pellets.

jchunter13

I plan on buying some on my way home tonight. I'm hoping that is the issue. Ive never had fish not eat before

jchunter13

It’s been a week now and they still are not eating. Idk what I’m doing wrong. I’m constantly having to vacuum the substrate

candiedragon

Do you know what they were eating at the store?

jchunter13

New life spectrum pellets. They put the food in their mouths Both the pellets and flakes, then spit it out. Tiny and large flakes. I have lost one I’m assuming to the lack food. The nitrite has a slight spike to 2 over the weekend before a 25% water chance

candiedragon

I'm going to ask a bunch of questions to see if we can rule things out.

1. How big is the tank?
2. How many tetras do you have in there?
3. Is the tank cycled? What are the parameters (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate)?
4. How is the tank decorated?
5. How did you acclimate them to the tank water? Did you dump the bag water in, too?
6. What kind of maintenance have you done/been doing on this tank? How often and how much?

jchunter13

- 20 gallons
-now 5 tetras
- .5/2/2. Nitrite was 0 2 days ago
- decorations in the back half going half the height of the tank with a cave
- 10% water chance once a week with ph down and dechlorinator due to high ph tap water
- acclimated in the bag on the surface for 30 min, then netted them, and placed into tank without store water.

candiedragon

What is your natural pH, the pH you were hoping for, and the pH you actually have?

I usually recommend that people do not mess with their pH because it imposes a hassle and too much risk of making a mistake and causing a big enough swing. If you want to safely bring down your pH, you can try natural buffers like adding tannins from natural driftwood or almond leaves, or peat moss. All of these ought to be aquarium-safe though.

You should probably try to do 25% water changes at least. Ammonia and Nitrite is really toxic, so that could be a reason why your fish don't want to eat. It does not sound like your tank is cycled. When did you set up the tank?

jchunter13

My natural ph is 8.3 and have had the tank for 4 weeks. I have been looking into driftwood, but can’t find a store in town. Worried the driftwood would be too large or small if I buy online

Roosteroni

Strange I wouldn’t think serpae would be picky with food. If that’s the case I’m sure they will eat frozen bloodworms or mysis shrimp cubes if your LFS carries them and you can introduce staple foods along the way. Perhaps a 50% WC with a double dose of water conditioner?
Hope you figure it out and I also recommend adding a few more to the school once you get em eatin. Good luck!

Thunder_o_b

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom