Serpae Tetras Keep Dying

thatfishguy30

Started with 10 serpaes and know I only have 5. They've been in there for about a year and they are the only ones dying (except for a few exceptions). I haven't lost any angelfish, black skirt tetras, or my peacock eel. The only other fish that are dying are my glolights but I've only lost 3. Are they dying because of age?

angelcraze

What happens before they die?

Were the tetras full grown when you got them?

thatfishguy30

What happens before they die?

Were the tetras full grown when you got them?

They looked fine to me. They always die overnight and I got them full grown.

Badhaircut

Assuming the fish were young when you acquired them, they are probably not dying of old age. Serpae tetras should live 3-5 years. Have you noticed any behavioral or physical changes in them? Any changes to water chemistry? How about frequency? Have they been dying one per month for several months, or all recently? Any signs of parasites, eg long stringy poop?

thatfishguy30

Assuming the fish were young when you acquired them, they are probably not dying of old age. Serpae tetras should live 3-5 years. Have you noticed any behavioral or physical changes in them? Any changes to water chemistry? How about frequency? Have they been dying one per month for several months, or all recently? Any signs of parasites, eg long stringy poop?

They are acting the same as when I first got them, they die like one per month, The only change I could think of from when I first got them was more fish and that my 2 of my angelfish became a pair and started laying eggs, and I didn't really notice their poop but when I do a water change I don't see any long stringy poop

angelcraze

They looked fine to me. They always die overnight and I got them full grown.
It could be they aged out then. If you had an issue that takes them out, you would likely see symptoms and in other fish by now. That's my opinion.

These days, fish are living longer lives in our tanks due to all water changes we do now, keeping them in more natural planted tanks etc. Serpeas can live for average 5-7 years in a well kept tank. But who knows what kind of water they were grown in and how old they are when they are already full grown.

Angelfish won't usually kill a tankmate, but they will def push them away when they have eggs. What size is your tank?

thatfishguy30

It could be they aged out then. If you had an issue that takes them out, you would likely see symptoms and in other fish by now. That's my opinion.

These days, fish are living longer lives in our tanks due to all water changes we do now, keeping them in more natural planted tanks etc. Serpeas can live for average 5-7 years in a well kept tank. But who knows what kind of water they were grown in and how old they are when they are already full grown.

Angelfish won't usually kill a tankmate, but they will def push them away when they have eggs. What size is your tank?

I have a 75 gallon

angelcraze

It should be enough room for a pair of angels without killing their tankmates. I still vote that the tetras have aged out. I really think you'd notice a symptom or two if it was anything brutal and the other fish would be affected too.

CastleGrayskull

Angels sometimes attack tetras.

angelcraze

Angels sometimes attack tetras.
True, I've seen them attack platies. Serpeas are a more robust tetra then glowlight though, then again, I could see serpeas being more bold going after the eggs......

It's possible...

VSA

It could be aggression among themselves with the weakest being killed off from stress of bullying.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views