Serpae Tetra

1. Rana

Rana Member Member

My friend got a new tank past two weeks with 5 danios in it, kind of like me..I got addicted to fishkeeping from him:3. So he ran the tank for 2 weeks and added 5 serpae tetra, so the thing is those tetras are added and been more than 1 day but there's no sign of eating:-! . Those tetras are playing , moving , everything seems normal except eating. Their Colors have become red like normal , which got faded a little when they were bought, we tried to feed them pellets , some freeze dried worms , flakes, but they don't seem to move at the top and pick for food , and the danios r slightly overfed because of the extra food they r not eating:( what should we do?

2. M

Manjit Member Member

though you ran the tank for two weeks it is not sure that it has cycled... what are your water parameters....
    what is yours tank size...
    how did you acclimate your fish...
    did you add all those fish at once or kept a gap of 2-3 days between addotion of each fish...

As for not eating...
    They might be stressed because of sudden change in sourrounding and transportation...
    It will take them 2-3 days to get accoustomed....

3. OP
    OP
    Rana

Rana Member Member

As i said in my first post we were total begginers and didn't knew about cycling and other things. And haven't found anything to measure my water parameters in my lfs. But the temperature is 27, which seemed to be ideal according aqadvisor.
    As i said in my first post we were total begginers and didn't knew about cycling and other things. And haven't found anything to measure my water parameters in my lfs. But the temperature is 27, which seemed to be ideal according aqadvisor. And those fishes were added all together .
    Tank size 15G

4. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

Wait for few more days, when i introduced serpae tetras to my tank it took 2 to 3 days for them to start eating confidently. If they seem active and healthy dont worry at all,They maybe a little shy and is in the process of getting used to the tank however keep feeding them and try not to over feed the other fishes.

5. OP
    OP
    Rana

Rana Member Member

Yup they seem healthy , and moving around enough for them to be active. Let's see in few days

Ok just noticed something bad, most of them like 3-4 has torn fins. I know they are little aggressive and nips a lot. Will this affect anything ? They didn't had that yesterday

6. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

Serpae tetras are aggressive fishes so its normal for them to be nipping each other, but do maintain the water quality and proper temperature cause the torn fins sometimes leads to diseases and bacterial infections. Keep in mind that these are the schooling fishes and do best in groups so provide them with lots of space, what size is ur tank?? if your tank is small they might get more aggressive

7. OP
    OP
    Rana

Rana Member Member

It's 15 gallon, I saw in fishlore the minimum tank size should be 10 g. Guessing it's fine? Will the fins grow back,? And ya in my region temperature goes pretty high.. Like real high. We do water change daily 30% but will high temperature affect this fish?

8. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

Do not perform 30% water change daily, it is not recommended it might stress your fishes even more, yes increase in temperature makes fishes more active and aggressive fishes become more aggressive, Fins will grow back if you provide good care and healthy environment and if you provide your fish with high protein food.

9. OP
    OP
    Rana

Rana Member Member

Will they settle down eventually and stop nipping? If this gets worse i am scared they will die

10. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

Fishes can be unpredictable sometimes i recommend you keep and eye on them and see what happen, they should settle down eventually, what is the temperature of the tank ?

11. OP
    OP
    Rana

Rana Member Member

27-28 rn , in between

12. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

maintain the current temperature, dont worry they weill be ok in few days :)

13. OP
    OP
    Rana

Rana Member Member

Good to hear that:) , it's raining today so the temperature is little down..it's usually gets 30-31 .

14. M

Manjit Member Member

provide lots of hiding places....
    and you can order test kits online...