Serpae Tetra Not Showing Black Vertical Stripe

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by T'sTropicalTanks, Apr 19, 2017.

1. T'sTropicalTanks

T'sTropicalTanks Valued Member Member

One of my serpaes I got today isn't showing that black vertical mark on its side. It's still juvenile so could that be it? It was like that in the lfs too so could it be due to stress?

2. Catfish12345

Catfish12345 Valued Member Member

I know there are other tetras very similar to Serpaes. Maybe another species got mixed in?

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post a pic?

There are a couple of tetras that look like serpae tetras such as flame tetra and bentos tetra

The tetras might also be stressed

4. OP
    OP
    T'sTropicalTanks

[​IMG]

Sorry it's so bad. Out of the 4 serpaes I got yesterday only 2 had the vertical black stripe. The other 2 had somewhat of the stripe but not all.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a variable character. Different populations from the wild have been interbred commercially, so the variation occurs within a single spawn, rather than being a location/population characteristic.

6. OP
    OP
    T'sTropicalTanks

So @chromedome52 they'll always look different from each other? I wanted them to all look similar because it will look natural when the school

7. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

variations are natural, I guess you mean uniform :)

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Some sources have more uniformly marked fish, as they only started with one population for breeding. I suspect that yours will never have the exact same markings. Sorry.

9. OP
    OP
    T'sTropicalTanks

I mean, the two were talking about show a faded mark. So like half of it is showing so it looks like a black dot almost

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice