Serpae Tetra nipping Angelfish

f1ea

HI all,

I've got a 200 Gal Planted tank... tank has 8 angels, 8 Black skirt tetras, 6 Serpae tetras, 1 Rainbow Shark, 6 Clown loaches, 3 flame gouramis.

There has been absolutely no problem between anyone, EXCEPT the Serpae tetras nipping on my Black lace angelfish. Normally, the serpaes ignore whoever is not their species... but they sometimes harrass this one particular angelfish, and only when there is a 'lone' tetra around. As long as they are grouped they tend to not bother others.......

Should I increase the serpae school? Minimum is 6, but since its such a big tank they are sometimes separated. However, I wouldn't like to increase the number of aggressors...

or would it be better to just remove the serpaes from the angelfish tank??

Anyone ever had a similar experience?

Shawnie

most tetras are fin nippers....with more than plenty of room, id up the school ....is the angel being picked on a submissive or sick angel? id love to see some pics sometime..sounds like a great setup! (minus the nawty fish)

GypsyGirl71

My opinion, dump the tetras! I had 3 in a 55 gallon tank with a few silver dollars. They picked and nipped on one of the dollars until he had nearly no tail fin at all! I removed the tetra and now my dollars are happy and healthy. It took a long time for the tail to grow back but it did and I can even tell which one it was now!

f1ea

most tetras are fin nippers....with more than plenty of room, id up the school ....is the angel being picked on a submissive or sick angel? id love to see some pics sometime..sounds like a great setup! (minus the nawty fish)

The angel is a submissive male. He'd rather run away than face the little buggers; my other angels are younger (and not laced) and they most head-butt the tetras even before they dare.....

As you say, i'm inclined to think that upping the school will reduce the nipping. They only pick on the angel when one of them loses the school, as long as they're at least a pair they don't bother the fella... if it gets too bad I'll send the lace angel to another tank.

My opinion, dump the tetras! I had 3 in a 55 gallon tank with a few silver dollars.

3 is too few. Really, the minimum is 6, and in a large tank the problem is that they sometimes lose the school, get bored... then nip the angel.

Thanks for the replies!
Will post pics when the initial algae clears

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sifat Rahbar Khan
Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
Castiel*