Serpae Tetra - Injury or Disease?

Kris10

Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum, though I have been reading quite a few threads here in the past. I have an issue with my Serape Tetra that I can't figure out! I am not sure if it is a disease or has it been injured?

I have an unconventional pond like setup on my apartment balcony, made in a 25 gallon tub. It is sort of like a community pond instead of a community tank. My pond has 8 Serape Tetras, 7 Albino Widow Tetras, 6 Corydoras, 2 Siamese Algae eaters and 2 Synodontis petricola that hide for the most part of the day. It's a planted set up with some drift wood, rocks and a sand substrate. This set up is approximately 3 months old.

All the fish in the tank seems to be doing great except 1 serape tetra that I noticed has a slightly bent back and tail and looked severely injured/bruised. It was still swimming around but just not as spritely as the rest. I was not sure if this is just an injury or some sort of disease since i've never had a disease in my pond set ups before.

I have separated it and put it in a small 3 gallon tub for now with a filter and some aquarium salt mixed into the water.

Posting pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Hoping to get some guidance before it's too late!

Thanks
Kris

Tetra 1.jpg
Tetra 2.jpg

A201

I think the Blackened area is something more than a bruise. It's more likely a dead area, possibly due to the lack of blood flow. The situation might have been caused by an intestinal bacteral infection, which often can cause curvature of the spine. It could even be a cancer.
Either way probably not curable.

Kris10

Thanks for the reply! That's sad to hear! I still have him in a quarantine container, seems to be swimming around fine. I will wait and watch for a few more days and hope for a miracle.

If it is indeed an intestinal bacterial infection, what could have caused it? Is it food? Also, is it contagious? My other fish seem to be doing ok.

Thanks
K

A201

Only contagious if the tankmates nibble on an infected corpse.
Bacteria is present in all freshwater aquarium environments.
A fish becomes susceptible to infection when it's immune system is weakened.

Kris10

Ok, I'll wait and watch and keep you updated. Fingers crossed!

Thank you so much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John634720
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
FlashyFins2019
Replies