Serpae tetra dying - what to do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ddurose, Jul 4, 2016.

1. dduroseNew MemberMember

We have 5 serpae tetra in a 10 gallon tank. We've had them for about 5 months or so. We just returned from 8-9 days of vacation and it looks like one of them is going to die any second. It's laying down on the rocks at the bottom then will get startled and start swimming weakly before laying down again. I did a partial water change right before we left and just did another one when we returned. I used an automatic feeder that has a drum on it and rotates at certain times throughout the day. I also had the hood light on a timer so it would come on during the day and turn off at night. Any last ditch effort I could make to save it or should I just consider the sick one a loss and take him out of the tank? Thanks in advance...I'm a newbie so not sure how to handle this.

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Can you post your parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    d

dduroseNew MemberMember

What do you mean by parameters? We just had to say goodbye to the fish. I wonder what happened. Maybe the vacation was rough on it.

4. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test results. Without knowing those it's hard to say for sure what happened to your fish. It could just have been old age but it's always helpful to know what parameters are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice